Hello!

I'm a little green on the SysAdmin side of things, so please be gentle if these are dumb questions. I'm going to be migrating DHCP from a NetWare 6.5 SP8 box and DNS from a Server 2k8 box onto one SLES11 VM. I've been poring over the documentation for DNS/DHCP implementation and trying to figure out exactly what the process will entail. I've come up with a few questions:

1: Due to the fact that I am migrating DHCP and not performing a fresh install, in what order do I install DHCP in SLES? Do I install it before and migrate or will the installation of DHCP occur during the migration? From the docs it felt like much of the initial DHCP configuration would be redundant if a migration was performed on top of the install. Perhaps I'm just not understanding the process.

2: Is there a preferred order to installing DNS and DHCP on the same VM? Which service should be migrated first?

3: Considering there will be two services running on the same VM, what kind of hardware should I assign to it? Storage? RAM? Processors? I know this is subjective to the load being placed on it, but where would you start?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!