Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SLES 12 Failed to start X Display Manager.

1. Re: SLES 12 Failed to start X Display Manager.

On Fri 16 Jan 2015 07:44:02 PM CST, mikenash wrote:

The command lspci does nothing on the putty session. I connect to the
    server using putty, using a PCOMM session to log onto the 3270 console
    and VNC. Since this is a new install I was reviewing /var/log/messages
    file and noticed the Failed to start X Display Manager error after the
    display manager started the gdm service.
    Jan 15 14:35:24 linux234 display-manager[663]: Starting service
    gdm..unused
    Jan 15 14:35:24 linux234 systemd[1]: Failed to start X Display Manager.
    The reason I was reviewing the /var/log/messages file was because I was
    working with the VNC server. I was unable to start a second session and
    I made changes to the /etc/xinetd.d/vnc file to allow a second session.
    This worked but the vnc sessions did not logout and remain running.
    This behavior was the same before I made any changes. I found the
    display manager failure to start and started there. This message was
    always there. I can do another install and it will be there. So,
    starting gdm is something Suse does and nothing I initiated. Where
    would this be initiated from during the boot process?

Hi
    Via systemd, since it's a remote session set the default to runlevel 3;
    Code:
    systemctl set-default multi-user.target
    If you had a display etc and using a graphical desktop, the default
    would be set (set-default) to graphical.target.

The command;
    Code:
    systemctl status display-manager.service
    Should only be present if it's trying to start up a graphical session,
    so this should show as dead.

You can also analyze the startup with systemd-analyze (blame and
    critical-chain to see what is starting, when and how long it's taking.

Since your running vnc there should also be some sort of service file
    for this.

--
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.12.28-4-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Re: SLES 12 Failed to start X Display Manager.

I installed a new system because I have a better understanding with describing the problem and did not want any previous changes interfer with the debug process.
    The VNC server is installed to start automatically. Three consoles are defined; vnc1, vnc2, and vnc3.
    The display manager starts but not without errors. I can start a vnc session and logoff will work. I cannot start a second vnc session. As soon as I log in the session will gracefully close. However, I change the config file /etc/xinetd.d/vnc and add AlwaysShared=Yes and then stop the VNC server from automatically starting at IPL. The display manager will fail to start but I am able to start two vnc sessions but logoff does not work. I still can not start a second session when the VNC server starts at IPL time. It appears to not use this config file. I have learned I can start the VNC server at IPL time and manually start a forth vnc server session.
    I am going to focus on fixing the VNC server at IPL time. The first vnc session start and behave as I expect. I looked through the menus but did not find any method to change the VNC server configuration with the AlwaysShared parameter. The output for the display manager at IPL time shows probles with configuring gdm display. I will be reviewing the documentation but would not mind more
    advice and directions. I did execute the systemd-analyze commands but did not see anything useful but this could be my lack of experience.

Is there a way to append text files to the forum post. I want to avoid pasting in too much information.

Below is the output from the IPL when the VNC server is configured to start at IPL time.

linux234:~ # systemctl status display-manager -l
    display-manager.service - X Display Manager
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/display-manager.service; enabled)
    Active: active (running) since Sun 2015-01-18 17:33:34 EST; 24h ago
    Process: 638 ExecStart=/usr/lib/X11/display-manager start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Main PID: 698 (gdm)
    CGroup: /system.slice/display-manager.service
    └─698 /usr/sbin/gdm --no-console

Jan 18 17:33:34 linux234 display-manager[638]: GdmSlaveProxy: Disposing slave proxy
    Jan 18 17:33:34 linux234 display-manager[638]: GdmSlaveProxy: Killing slave
    Jan 18 17:33:34 linux234 display-manager[638]: GdmDisplay: display lasted 0.017221 seconds
    Jan 18 17:33:34 linux234 display-manager[638]: GdmLocalDisplayFactory: display status changed: 4
    Jan 18 17:33:34 linux234 display-manager[638]: GdmDisplayStore: Unreffing display: 0x9a2ba520
    Jan 18 17:33:34 linux234 display-manager[638]: GdmLocalDisplayFactory: maximum number of X display failures reached: check X server log for errors
    Jan 18 17:33:34 linux234 display-manager[638]: GdmDisplay: Disposing display
    Jan 18 17:33:34 linux234 display-manager[638]: GdmLocalDisplayFactory: Display 0x9a2ba520 disposed
    Jan 18 17:33:34 linux234 display-manager[638]: GdmDisplay: Finalizing display: /org/gnome/DisplayManager/Displays/_5
    Jan 18 17:33:34 linux234 display-manager[638]: ..done

I started the first VNC session and select -> Applications - System Tools - Settings - Sharing. I turn on screen Sharing and Remote Login and save the settings. Next I start the second VNC session and logon. The session starts to open and then is gracefully close. In /var/log/messages for the first VNC session the only odd events are of missing desktop files. There are several: i.e.2015-01-21T15:21:46.674352-05:00 linux140 org.gnome.ControlCenter.SearchProvider[5911]: ** (process:6019): WARNING **: Ignoring broken panel color (missing desktop file). In /var/log/messages for the second VNC session it goes well until this message: 2015-01-21T15:28:45.817355-05:00 linux140 gnome-session[6203]: WARNING: Failed to acquire org.gnome.SessionManager
    2015-01-21T15:28:45.819071-05:00 linux140 gdm-password]: pam_unix(gdm-password:session): session closed for user Michael. Not sure where to go from here. Also, is there a method to attach files to these posts? Thanks in advance.

I missed a command: systemctl set-default multi-user.target
    I execute this and peformed a reboot. It got me in troublr. When I start a new VNC session I receive a black screen.
    So I executed systemctl set-default default.target or systemctl set-default single-user.target the target can not be found.
    How do I restore the initial setting?

5. Re: SLES 12 Failed to start X Display Manager.

On Fri 23 Jan 2015 03:24:01 PM CST, mikenash wrote:

I missed a command: systemctl set-default multi-user.target
    I execute this and peformed a reboot. It got me in troublr. When I
    start a new VNC session I receive a black screen.
    So I executed systemctl set-default default.target or systemctl
    set-default single-user.target the target can not be found.
    How do I restore the initial setting?

Hi
    Try;
    Code:
    systemctl set-default graphical.target
    Which is runlevel 5 multi-user.target is runlevel 3.

You can also use isolate with systemctl to restart the levels... lots
    of things to learn with systemd

--
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.12.32-33-default

Thank you, back on track. I start a VNC session and turn on sharing. When I attempt to log onto a second session the session gracefully closes when the password is entered. If I edit the /etc/xinetd.d/vnc file and add AlwaysShared = Yes I am able to start a second session but logout does not work. Anyway, here is the output after the first session is logged in and output after the second session closes. Where would the configuration file be for the VNC server that starts at IPL time? What else can I do to debug this problem. Thanks again.
    linux140:~ # systemctl status display-manager -l
    Active: active (running) since Sun 2015-01-25 16:09:19 EST; 3min 10s ago
    Process: 605 ExecStart=/usr/lib/X11/display-manager start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Main PID: 662 (gdm)
    ├─ 662 /usr/sbin/gdm --no-console
    └─1382 /usr/lib/gdm/gdm-simple-slave --display-id /org/gnome/DisplayManager/Displays/__1_2

Jan 25 16:09:19 linux140 display-manager[605]: Failed to execute child process "/usr/bin/X" (No such file or directory)
    Jan 25 16:09:19 linux140 display-manager[605]: Could not start the X server (your graphical environment) due to an internal error. Please contact your system administrator or check your syslog to diagnose. In the meantime this display will be disabled. Please restart GDM when the problem is corrected.
    Jan 25 16:09:19 linux140 display-manager[605]: GdmDisplay: display lasted 0.011153 seconds
    Jan 25 16:09:19 linux140 display-manager[605]: Failed to execute child process "/usr/bin/X" (No such file or directory)
    Jan 25 16:09:19 linux140 display-manager[605]: Could not start the X server (your graphical environment) due to an internal error. Please contact your system administrator or check your syslog to diagnose. In the meantime this display will be disabled. Please restart GDM when the problem is corrected.
    Jan 25 16:09:19 linux140 display-manager[605]: GdmDisplay: display lasted 0.011674 seconds
    Jan 25 16:09:19 linux140 display-manager[605]: GdmLocalDisplayFactory: maximum number of X display failures reached: check X server log for errors
    Jan 25 16:11:55 linux140 gdm-launch-environment][1393]: pam_unix(gdm-launch-environment:session): session opened for user gdm by (uid=0)
    Jan 25 16:12:16 linux140 gdm-password][1502]: pam_unix(gdm-password:session): session opened for user root by (unknown)(uid=0)
    Jan 25 16:12:17 linux140 display-manager[605]: Failed to remove slave program access to the display. Trying to proceed.
    linux140:~ # systemctl status display-manager -l
    Active: active (running) since Sun 2015-01-25 16:09:19 EST; 4min 29s ago
    Process: 605 ExecStart=/usr/lib/X11/display-manager start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    Main PID: 662 (gdm)
    ├─ 662 /usr/sbin/gdm --no-console
    └─1382 /usr/lib/gdm/gdm-simple-slave --display-id /org/gnome/DisplayManager/Displays/__1_2

Jan 25 16:09:19 linux140 display-manager[605]: GdmDisplay: display lasted 0.011674 seconds
    Jan 25 16:09:19 linux140 display-manager[605]: GdmLocalDisplayFactory: maximum number of X display failures reached: check X server log for errors
    Jan 25 16:11:55 linux140 gdm-launch-environment][1393]: pam_unix(gdm-launch-environment:session): session opened for user gdm by (uid=0)
    Jan 25 16:12:16 linux140 gdm-password][1502]: pam_unix(gdm-password:session): session opened for user root by (unknown)(uid=0)
    Jan 25 16:12:17 linux140 display-manager[605]: Failed to remove slave program access to the display. Trying to proceed.
    Jan 25 16:13:14 linux140 gdm-launch-environment][1763]: pam_unix(gdm-launch-environment:session): session opened for user gdm by (uid=0)
    Jan 25 16:13:37 linux140 gdm-password][1841]: pam_unix(gdm-password:session): session opened for user root by (unknown)(uid=0)
    Jan 25 16:13:38 linux140 display-manager[605]: Failed to remove slave program access to the display. Trying to proceed.
    Jan 25 16:13:38 linux140 display-manager[605]: GLib-GObject: g_object_ref: assertion 'object->ref_count > 0' failed
    Jan 25 16:13:38 linux140 display-manager[605]: GLib-GObject: g_object_unref: assertion 'object->ref_count > 0' failed

I search for a vnc configuration file that would help manually change the vnc sessions configuration without any success. Are there any configuration files for the multi-display target that would prevent a black screen? What else can be done to obtain information to debug this problem? Suggestions please.

Still looking for some information, techniques, and assistance to solve this problem. I have been told the the VNC server is vino and not tigervnc. Can anyone verify which VNC server is started at IPL time. Would it be a different from the vnc server that is started from a ssh session? I follow the Suse documentation to turn sharing on but this did not work. Where are the configuration files. With vncconfig I can get the status for AlwaysShared but fails when I attempt to change it. I have tried to use yast and change the network sevices xinetd for xvnc1. This will have an effect on the vnc session but will not accept the AlwaysShared parameter.

9. Re: SLES 12 Failed to start X Display Manager.

On Tue 10 Feb 2015 12:24:01 AM CST, mikenash wrote:

Still looking for some information, techniques, and assistance to solve
    this problem. I have been told the the VNC server is vino and not
    tigervnc. Can anyone verify which VNC server is started at IPL time.
    Would it be a different from the vnc server that is started from a ssh
    session? I follow the Suse documentation to turn sharing on but this did
    not work. Where are the configuration files. With vncconfig I can get
    the status for AlwaysShared but fails when I attempt to change it. I
    have tried to use yast and change the network sevices xinetd for xvnc1.
    This will have an effect on the vnc session but will not accept the
    AlwaysShared parameter.

Hi
    The vino server is for the desktop, tigervnc is still present..

You can check the desktop settings (as set) via dconf-editor from a GUI
    or gsettings from the command line on the host;
    Code:
    gsettings list-keys org.gnome.Vino

gsettings get org.gnome.Vino enabled

gsettings set org.gnome.Vino enabled true
    Make sure the firewall is down to exclude that, the other option is to
    run wireshark to see what's happening traffic wise.

--
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.12.36-38-default

Hello Malcolm, thank you for your reply. I listed the parameters and values but I do not find anything that may help me start a second VNC session.
    I am able to this on RedHat Enterprise and on other levels of Suse Enterprise. With other versions of Suse I can go into Applications -> System Tools -> Settings -> Sharing and turn on Screen Sharing and Remote Login. Where are these parameters and values stored? What can I do to gather diagnostics to determine what the problem? What the parameter values are? Where and how to change them?
    linux234:~ # gsettings list-recursively org.gnome.Vino
    org.gnome.Vino alternative-port uint16 5900
    org.gnome.Vino authentication-methods ['vnc']
    org.gnome.Vino disable-background false
    org.gnome.Vino disable-xdamage false
    org.gnome.Vino enabled true
    org.gnome.Vino icon-visibility 'client'
    org.gnome.Vino lock-screen-on-disconnect false
    org.gnome.Vino mailto ''
    org.gnome.Vino network-interface ''
    org.gnome.Vino notify-on-connect true
    org.gnome.Vino prompt-enabled true