Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: SUSE won't boot up from local hard disk

Hybrid View

  1. SUSE won't boot up from local hard disk

    Hello Every body,

    i have a project that deals with back up the system to tape drive. we couldn't find the tape drive path so, we install some packages then we rebbot the system. but the system won't boot , it is stuck on "booting from local hard disk ..."

    The system is SUSE SERVER 11 SP2. Tape drive is Dell RD1000.

    Please, i need help or my professor would give me 0 on my project.

  2. Re: SUSE won't boot up from local hard disk

    On Fri 10 Apr 2015 10:44:02 PM CDT, AliAlqahtani505 wrote:


    Hello Every body,

    i have a project that deals with back up the system to tape drive. we
    couldn't find the tape drive path so, we install some packages then we
    rebbot the system. but the system won't boot , it is stuck on "booting
    from local hard disk ..."

    The system is SUSE SERVER 11 SP2. Tape drive is Dell RD1000.

    Please, i need help or my professor would give me 0 on my project.


    Hi
    Boot from the install DVD in rescue mode and check the disk boot flag
    is set;
    Code:
    fdisk -l /dev/sdX
    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.12.39-47-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  3. Re: SUSE won't boot up from local hard disk

    Thank you for your replay, here's what i did:

    #grup-install bootdevicepath /dev/sda
    WARNING! You are trying to invoke the unsupported grup-install script with a parameter .To really do this , call grup-install. unsupported.You should rather call yast2 bootloader" or create configuration files appropriate the intended target.

    Also, i did
    #df -h
    tmpfs 16G 0 16G 0% /dev/shm

    Also,
    #cd /boot/grub/
    bash : cd : /boot/grub/: no such file or directory

    Thats what i got!

  4. Re: SUSE won't boot up from local hard disk

    On Fri 10 Apr 2015 11:14:01 PM CDT, AliAlqahtani505 wrote:


    Thank you for your replay, here's what i did:

    #grup-install bootdevicepath /dev/sda
    WARNING! You are trying to invoke the unsupported grup-install script
    with a parameter .To really do this , call grup-install. unsupported.You
    should rather call yast2 bootloader" or create configuration files
    appropriate the intended target.

    Also, i did
    #df -h
    tmpfs 16G 0 16G 0% /dev/shm

    Also,
    #cd /boot/grub/
    bash : cd : /boot/grub/: no such file or directory

    Thats what i got!


    Hi
    But what do you get from the fdisk command? In rescue mode, nothing is
    mounted...

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.12.39-47-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  5. Re: SUSE won't boot up from local hard disk

    Nothing showed up. i think the path have been changed i don' t know just guess

  6. Re: SUSE won't boot up from local hard disk

    On Fri 10 Apr 2015 11:34:02 PM CDT, AliAlqahtani505 wrote:


    Nothing showed up. i think the path have been changed i don' t know just
    guess


    Hi
    What about the command;
    Code:
    lsblk
    Else try
    Code:
    hwinfo --disk
    hwinfo --scsi
    hwinfo --block
    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.12.39-47-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  7. Exclamation Re: SUSE won't boot up from local hard disk

    Thank you for your help!

    This is what I did :

    1- Went to Yast
    2-Went into Partitioner
    3-Clicked on Configure >> Configure iSCSI
    4- There was two Options for Service start Then I choice When Booting
    5- reboot the system

    the result is not booting.



  8. Re: SUSE won't boot up from local hard disk

    On Sat 11 Apr 2015 03:04:02 PM CDT, AliAlqahtani505 wrote:


    Thank you for your help!

    This is what I did :

    1- Went to Yast
    2-Went into Partitioner
    3-Clicked on Configure >> Configure iSCSI
    4- There was two Options for Service start Then I choice When Booting
    5- reboot the system

    the result is not booting.





    Hi
    So it doesn't see any of the physical disks now? I need to see the
    fdisk output....

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.12.39-47-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  9. Re: SUSE won't boot up from local hard disk

    I will show you what is the result tomorrow! The professor wont let us get in to the server room While he is not his office .

  10. Re: SUSE won't boot up from local hard disk

    PHP Code:
    Rescuw:~ # fdisk -l

    Disk /dev/sda499.6 GB499558383616 bytes
    255 heads
    63 sectors/track60734 cylinderstotal 975699968 sectors
    Units 
    =sectors of 1 512 512 bytes
    sector size 
    (logical/physical): 512 bytes 512 bytes
    I
    /O size (minimum/optimal):512 bytes /512 bytes
    Disk identifier 
    0 X47b2020d

    Disk 
    /dev/sda doesn't contain a valid partition table 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •