Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Booting SLES from hard drive/SSD on RPi-3

Booting SLES from hard drive/SSD on RPi-3

Ive been testing SLES on RPi for 6-8 weeks. Its my first experience with SUSE and it has been a smooth one. Thanks for this implementation it gives me the ARM8 environment Id been wanting to learn, and it's a very high quality implementation.

One question, though, about the ability to boot from or redirect booting to a USB-attached hard or SSD drive on a Pi-3. Under Raspbian, editing cmdline.txt on mmcblk0 to set root to /dev/sda1 redirects the booting process to the hard drive. Or by preparing the Pi-3 with a special command one time, you can then boot directly from the hard drive (no SD at all) or with a special BOOTCODE.BIN as the only file on the SD, it will redirect booting to the hard drive.

I dont see any option in the /BOOT directory to redirect the boot device, and the only reference to mmcblk is in start.elf (binary, not text).

Is there a way to direct the boot process to go to a USB-attached drive, or to redirect the boot to a hard drive with a modified bootstrap program on a SD? While the booting starts a little slower over the USB rather than on the SD, the performance is much better once you're up and running. This is coming from Firefox/Raspbian/SSD/Pi-3, and I'd like to do the same with SLES on my other Pi-3.

2. Re: Booting SLES from hard drive/SSD on RPi-3

On Wed 25 Jan 2017 04:04:01 AM CST, hdtodd wrote:

I_ve been testing SLES on RPi for 6-8 weeks. It_s my first experience
    with SUSE and it has been a smooth one. Thanks for this implementation _
    it gives me the ARM8 environment I_d been wanting to learn, and it's a
    very high quality implementation.

One question, though, about the ability to boot from or redirect booting
    to a USB-attached hard or SSD drive on a Pi-3. Under Raspbian, editing
    cmdline.txt on mmcblk0 to set root to /dev/sda1 redirects the booting
    process to the hard drive. Or by preparing the Pi-3 with a special
    command one time, you can then boot directly from the hard drive (no _SD
    at all) or with a special BOOTCODE.BIN as the only file on the _SD, it
    will redirect booting to the hard drive.

I don_t see any option in the /BOOT directory to redirect the boot
    device, and the only reference to mmcblk is in start.elf (binary, not
    text).

Is there a way to direct the boot process to go to a USB-attached drive,
    or to redirect the boot to a hard drive with a modified bootstrap
    program on a _SD? While the booting starts a little slower over the USB
    rather than on the _SD, the performance is much better once you're up
    and running. This is coming from Firefox/Raspbian/SSD/Pi-3, and I'd
    like to do the same with SLES on my other Pi-3.

Hi
    Based on this ML thread today it needs the usb driver in initrd (which
    I'm guessing it's not for SLES...)
    https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-.../msg00060.html

--
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE Leap 42.1|GNOME 3.16.2|4.1.36-44-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Re: Booting SLES from hard drive/SSD on RPi-3

Thank, yet again!, Malcom! I'll update my SUSE installation on the microSD card, move it to a SD-USB adapter, and give it a try before installing on a hard drive. I'll post the results.

David

Well, the straightforward approach of installing SLES on a USB thumbdrive (following http://tinyurl.com/slespi) then using the Raspbian MSD installation process (https://www.raspberrypi.org/document...otmodes/msd.md) to copy the updated, working version of SLES from a SD to the USB drive didn't work. After installing SLES on the USB drive, when I insert it into the USB socket with SLES having booted off the SD card, SLES remounts /dev/sda3 as the root, in place of /dev/mmcblk0p3. Makes it hard to rsync the working partition over the USB partition. [ :-) ] I've never seen that before and haven't figured out how to remount mmcblk0p3 as the / partition. I'll post again if I make any progress.

If anyone else is trying this. please note that I'd already prepared my Pi-3 to boot off the USB drive (have booted Raspbian on it) with the one-time fuse-blowing step. And note that not all USB drives will work: the Raspbian MSD reference above lists some that are known to work and some that are known not to work.

In particular, though, note that USB 3.0 devices seem especially tricky. Neither my USB 3.0 SD-USB adapter nor a Verbatim 3.0 USB thumbdrive were recognized by my Pi-3 and so couldn't be used for USB booting.

More later (I hope).

5. Re: Booting SLES from hard drive/SSD on RPi-3

On Thu 26 Jan 2017 12:54:02 PM CST, hdtodd wrote:

Well, the straightforward approach of installing SLES on a USB
    thumbdrive (following http://tinyurl.com/slespi) then using the Raspbian
    MSD installation process
    (https://www.raspberrypi.org/document...otmodes/msd.md)
    to copy the updated, working version of SLES from a _SD to the USB drive
    didn't work. After installing SLES on the USB drive, when I insert it
    into the USB socket with SLES having booted off the _SD card, SLES
    remounts /dev/sda3 as the root, in place of /dev/mmcblk0p3. Makes it
    hard to rsync the working partition over the USB partition. [ :-) ]
    I've never seen that before and haven't figured out how to remount
    mmcblk0p3 as the / partition. I'll post again if I make any progress.

If anyone else is trying this. please note that I'd already prepared my
    Pi-3 to boot off the USB drive (have booted Raspbian on it) with the
    one-time fuse-blowing step. And note that not all USB drives will work:
    the Raspbian MSD reference above lists some that are known to work and
    some that are known not to work.

In particular, though, note that USB 3.0 devices seem especially tricky.
    Neither my USB 3.0 _SD-USB adapter nor a Verbatim 3.0 USB thumbdrive
    were recognized by my Pi-3 and so couldn't be used for USB booting.

More later (I hope).

Hi
    The USB 3.0 thing not only affects RPI's... I have a few systems here
    that want the USB 3.0 device in a USB 2.0 port to boot the installer....

Feed it through a powered USB 2.0 hub to start with? Also try dd of the
    partitions rather than rsync.

I have an old 8GB IDE SSD, need to hook that up and see if can get
    something running...

What boot options are you using and your method to get there (u-boot
    or grub?).

--
    openSUSE Leap 42.1|GNOME 3.16.2|4.1.36-44-default

Thanks for the reminder about using a USB 2 hub ... I had done that when I was first setting up USB booting with Raspbian -- that would have been very helpful to have remembered last night! :-)

I'm using grub to boot. I noticed that when trying to boot off the USB drive (no microSD installed), the USB drive seems to have some activity, but nothing comes up on the monitor. So it might be a bootloader issue, and it might be better with u-boot. But I was unaware that I had options. (Still learning SUSE) I'll work through that option when I get back to it later today.

Good idea about trying dd rather than rsync. I'll give that a shot, too. I'm hopeful that eventually one of these approaches will work out, and until then I'll just work through the alternatives.

No ntfsprogs on SUSE? I couldn't create the file system partitions with fdisk/parted + mkfs because there's no mkfs.ntfs and no ntfsprogs available through zypper/yast. Hence my approach of doing the SUSE install on the USB drive -- to have it create the partitions. I probably could have used rsync or dd to copy from the working microSD to the USB drive if I could have created the partitions directly. I'll check Raspbian to see if it has mkfs.ntfs, and if so, that might be the more direct route.

Any idea how/why the system, after having booted off the microSD and having mounted /dev/mmcblk0p3 as the "/" partition, remounts "/" as being on /dev/sda3 when I insert the USB drive on which I did a fresh SUSE install (even though it seems to still be listing the /dev/mmcblk0p3 contents)? I've not seen that behavior before and have no idea how it was done. I'm sure I'm misinterpreting what I'm seeing. I'll poke around with it a bit more today to see if I can make sense of it.

More later. Good luck on your setup.

7. Re: Booting SLES from hard drive/SSD on RPi-3

Hi
    On SLES 'EFI' is vfat, 'BOOT' is ext3 and 'ROOT' btrfs. But with dd it won't matter...

Check /etc/fstab entries, they need to be changed for the drive (or did they change to sda3).

To clean up devices for prepping with dd I use wipefs -a /dev/device_partition_number, then once all the partitions are done, also the disk wipefs -a /dev/device.
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE

Malcolm, just following up with progress to date.

I ended up stuck where Freigeist is in your link above, but I got there by a different route. I get it to boot, sorta, off the USB drive, but it hangs looking for device "dev-sda3": note the "-" in there. I'm sure that's a constructed reference, but I can't find where it's constructed in any of the boot config files. So I think I need to wait and watch as Alex and Freigeist work through the problem -- way out of my depth here.

I took a different route to get to the same point. I didn't recompile everything. If it ever works, I'll document in detail, but briefly:
    o installed ntfs-3g and tools and btrfs on Raspbian
    o partitioned a new USB thumb drive to mimic the microSD partitioning that was created by the SLES install process
    o mounted the sequence of partitions on the new drive as suggested in the Raspbian MSD install process (mkdirs to create /boot and /boot/efi)
    o mounted the sequence of partitions on the microSD drive (installed on a USB 2.0 adapter)
    o did rsyncs to copy the drive contents from the microSD to the USB thumb drive
    o edited the thumb drive fstab to replace the "dev-disk-by" references with "/dev/sda"
    o removed the Raspbian microSD drive and the SLES microSD drive (on USB adapter) and rebooted, with only the USB SLES thumb drive installed
    o that got some boot activity going, but the various config files in /boot and /etc/default and /etc/sysconfig/bootloader needed to have the "dev-disk-by" references changed to "/dev/sda"
    o so I rebooted in SLES (using the SLES microSD in the microSD slot) and edited those references to "dev-disk-by" that I could find; pulled the microSD and rebooted from SLES USB
    o that gets a boot that fails but then fails over to something vaguely like the splash screen, from which you can select the image you want to boot
    o and that boot then hangs looking for "dev-sda3". So it gets as far as the systemctl loading process but hangs.

There's got to be an easier and more systematic way to edit those "dev-disk-by" references, but I did it manually -- they'd be reverted by any subsequent zypper or yast updates to the kernel. But I was just trying to verify that it would work at all before I delved into the grub install process. Pretty ugly and not very reproducible to this point.

I'll go work on something else for a while and hope that Alex gets back to look at this again. Doesn't look like it's something I can get working yet.

9. Re: Booting SLES from hard drive/SSD on RPi-3

Hi
    Did you add to the grub command line root=/dev/sda3?
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE

Yes, all four menu entries ["Linux 4.4.38-93-default" and recovery mode and "Linux 4.4.21-90-default" and recovery mode] in BOOT/grub2/grub.cfg have these within the {}:

set root='hd0,msdos2'
    if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
    search --no-floppy --set=root --hint='hd0,msdos2' /dev/sda3
    else
    search --no-floppy --set=root /dev/sda3
    fi
    echo 'Loading Linux 4.4.38-93-default ...'
    linux /Image-4.4.38-93-default root=/dev/sda3 disk=/dev/sda resume=/dev/sda4 loglevel=3 plymouth.enable=0 console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=tty quiet ${extra_cmdline}

(BOOT is /dev/sda2, which comes up as /boot when the system is running).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast