Thread: How SM displays package installation failures

1. How SM displays package installation failures

We have installed SM3 and have (2) SLES11 and (1) SLES12 clients configured for testing. We tested some patch/package updates and everything works ok. However, we were curious to see what would happen in the event of a failure. So, we updated the kernel package and made sure /boot was out of disk space.

If I tried a manual install of the updated kernel packages via the command-line on the SLES12 client:
    Code:
    # zypper in kernel-default kernel-default-devel kernel-devel kernel-macros kernel-source
    Refreshing service 'SUSE_Linux_Enterprise_Server_12_SP1_x86_64'.
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    Resolving package dependencies...

The following 4 NEW packages are going to be installed:
      kernel-default-3.12.69-60.64.35.1 kernel-default-devel-3.12.69-60.64.35.1
      kernel-devel-3.12.69-60.64.35.1 kernel-source-3.12.69-60.64.35.1

The following package is going to be upgraded:
      kernel-macros

1 package to upgrade, 4 new.
    Overall download size: 0 B. Already cached: 126.3 MiB. After the operation,
    additional 640.4 MiB will be used.
    Continue? [y/n/? shows all options] (y): y
    In cache kernel-default-3.12.69-60.64.35.1.x86_64.rpm
                                               (1/5),  33.6 MiB (139.8 MiB unpacked)
    In cache kernel-macros-3.12.69-60.64.35.1.noarch.rpm
                                               (2/5),   1.9 MiB (  6.1 KiB unpacked)
    In cache kernel-devel-3.12.69-60.64.35.1.noarch.rpm
                                               (3/5),  11.2 MiB ( 47.8 MiB unpacked)
    In cache kernel-source-3.12.69-60.64.35.1.noarch.rpm
                                               (4/5),  75.9 MiB (450.0 MiB unpacked)
    In cache kernel-default-devel-3.12.69-60.64.35.1.x86_64.rpm
                                               (5/5),   3.6 MiB (  2.8 MiB unpacked)
    Checking for file conflicts: .............................................[done]
    (1/5) Installing: kernel-default-3.12.69-60.64.35.1.x86_64 ..............[error]
    Installation of kernel-default-3.12.69-60.64.35.1.x86_64 failed:
    Error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed:    installing package kernel-default-3.12.69-60.64.35.1.x86_64 needs 42MB on the /boot filesystem

Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i] (a):
    It is obvious from the above message what the problem is. However, when I tried installing the SUSE-12-SP1-2017-485 patch under Software->Patches, the task failed and the error message given in "Failed Systems" under Schedule->"Failed Actions" was:
    { "module_|-applychannels_|-state.apply_|-run": { "comment": "Module function state.apply executed", "name": "state.apply", "start_time": "13:33:01.666798", "result": true, "duration": 121.093, "__run_num__": 0.0, "changes": { "ret": { "file_|-/etc/zypp/repos.d/susemanager:channels.repo_|-/etc/zypp/repos.d/susemanager:channels.repo_|-managed": { "comment": "File /etc/zypp/repos.d/susemanager:channels.repo is in the correct state", "name": "/etc/zypp/repos.d/susemanager:channels.repo", "start_time": "13:33:01.751750", "result": true, "duration": 34.299, "__run_num__": 0.0, "changes": {} } } } }, "module_|-patchinstall_|-pkg.install_|-run": { "comment": "Module function pkg.install threw an exception. Exception: Zypper command failure: Installation of kernel-default-3.12.69-60.64.35.1.x86_64 failed:\nError: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: \tinstalling package kernel-d
    Needless to say this is not very descriptive and doesn't lead one to the real cause of the problem. I know I could look through /var/log/zypper.log on the client but doing this for tens of machines with tens of failures leaves one wary. Is there a way to get a more descriptive failure message when package installation fails? What would be really nice is a full log of the install on the client (as if you typed the zypper command in a tty). In this specific instance, the command-line being invoked on the client by SM is "zypper --non-interactive --no-refresh install --name --auto-agree-with-licenses patch:SUSE-SLE-SERVER-12-SP1-2017-485". The output of this command, when run on a tty, resembles the original command above input on the command-line. But, the output seems lost to SM.

2. Re: How SM displays package installation failures

I tested a similar failure on SLES11-SP3 and SLES11-SP4. While the kernel packages did not install because I filled up /boot on both systems, SM3 did *not* register the installation as failures. I see both actions under Schedule->Completed Actions->Completed Systems. Why did SM3 not see these as failed installations?

3. Re: How SM displays package installation failures

Quote Originally Posted by lychina View Post
    I tested a similar failure on SLES11-SP3 and SLES11-SP4. While the kernel packages did not install because I filled up /boot on both systems, SM3 did *not* register the installation as failures. I see both actions under Schedule->Completed Actions->Completed Systems. Why did SM3 not see these as failed installations?
    Please open a support request and attach supportconfig for server and client for further investigation.

4. Re: How SM displays package installation failures

Quote Originally Posted by kwk View Post
    Please open a support request and attach supportconfig for server and client for further investigation.
    Just opened a support ticket for this issue.