Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Is there a big difference between x86 and POWER versions ?

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Is there a big difference between x86 and POWER versions ?

    Hi,

    I'm actually searching a SLES 12 training and I just found one using POWER8 types processeur. At work I use x86-64 versions of SLES 12.

    Can I participate at the training or there are big difference between POWER and x86-64 based SLES 12 ?

  2. #2

    Re: Is there a big difference between x86 and POWER versions

    Quote Originally Posted by tkieffer2017 View Post
    I'm actually searching a SLES 12 training and I just found one using POWER8 types processeur. At work I use x86-64 versions of SLES 12.

    Can I participate at the training or there are big difference between POWER and x86-64 based SLES 12 ?
    Obviously there are hardware differences between x86-64 and IBM POWER systems so taking those into account SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 will appear the same regardless of which platform you are using it on - packages and commands will be common between all architectures (even with SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 running on a Raspberry Pi 3!).

    I'm slightly surprised to read that you've found once course with POWER and not x86-64 as I'd have expected that to be the other away round! I'm not sure how you've looked for training but if you haven't already seen the SUSE Training site, https://training.suse.com , I would take a look, particularly at https://training.suse.com/training/s...rise-server-2/ - there should be various options for taking courses whether in-person or on-line.

    HTH.
    Simon
    SUSE Knowledge Partner
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.

  3. #3

    Re: Is there a big difference between x86 and POWER versions

    Thank you for your response. Yes, I know, I am french and there are hupstream trainees at Paris, I proposed it at the people who manage this in my company and he sent me the paper for the SLES 12 trainees with POWER8 processors. Maybe there is a reason. I'll call him for more informations, if there is no choice I'll accept it.
    Last edited by tkieffer2017; 18-Sep-2017 at 08:00.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rotterdam - Netherlands
    Posts
    309

    Re: Is there a big difference between x86 and POWER versions ?

    On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 07:04:03 +0000, tkieffer2017 wrote:

    Hi tkieffer2017,

    > Thank you for your response. Yes, I know, I am french and there are
    > hupstream trainees at Paris, I proposed it at the people who manage this
    > in my company and he sent me the paper for the SLES 12 trainees with
    > POWER8 processors. Maybe there is a reason. I'll call him for more
    > informations, if there is no choice I'll accept it.


    I am sorry your post went unanswered and you had to reply to yourself.

    I think (but am not sure) the training collateral between POWER8 and
    x86-64 does not differ too much.

    I have you have any specific concerns or questions, can you please mail
    me directly at hvdheuvel [at] suse [dot] com, and I can try and get one
    of the local people reach out to you for clarification.

    Best regards
    Hans



  5. #5

    Re: Is there a big difference between x86 and POWER versions

    Quote Originally Posted by HvdHeuvel View Post
    On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 07:04:03 +0000, tkieffer2017 wrote:

    Hi tkieffer2017,

    > Thank you for your response. Yes, I know, I am french and there are
    > hupstream trainees at Paris, I proposed it at the people who manage this
    > in my company and he sent me the paper for the SLES 12 trainees with
    > POWER8 processors. Maybe there is a reason. I'll call him for more
    > informations, if there is no choice I'll accept it.


    I am sorry your post went unanswered and you had to reply to yourself.
    I did reply but unfortunately it did not sync up via NNTP so only shows via the web interface.

    Anyway I'm at SUSECON this week and this is one of the questions I was going to ask at the SUSE Training stand so thanks for the timely reminder!

    HTH.
    Simon
    SUSE Knowledge Partner
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.

  6. #6

    Re: Is there a big difference between x86 and POWER versions ?

    tkieffer2017,

    It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
    posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

    These forums are peer-to-peer, best effort, volunteer run and that if your issue
    is urgent or not getting a response, you might try one of the following options:

    - Visit http://www.suse.com/support and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
    the other support options available.
    - Open a service request: https://www.suse.com/support
    - You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
    correct newsgroup. (http://forums.suse.com)

    Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
    http://forums.suse.com/faq.php

    If this is a reply to a duplicate posting or otherwise posted in error, please
    ignore and accept our apologies and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand
    to our posting bot..

    Good luck!

    Your SUSE Forums Team
    http://forums.suse.com



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •