management tool for kvm virtualization

Hi,

the kvm website proposes a lot of management tools for kvm virtualization: http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Management_Tools

I will have two hosts with SLES 11 SP4 and between 10 and 15 guests of different flavor. I’d like to have live migration but not a HA solution.
The webpage shows a bunch o tools i don’t know. I got a recommendation for ovirt, but this seems to be strong related to RedHat/Fedora.
I’d prefer a tool which relies on libvirt and does not run the vm’s itself (liko ovirt it does).
I like web-based tools. It should not be too complicated because, after establishing the virtualization solution, i will leave and two people have to care about who are
no sysadmins.

Has anyone experience with one of these and can recommend s.th. ?

Thanks.

Bernd

On 10/07/2016 09:34 AM, berndgsflinux wrote:[color=blue]

the kvm website proposes a lot of management tools for kvm
virtualization: http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Management_Tools

I will have two hosts with SLES 11 SP4 and between 10 and 15 guests of
different flavor. I’d like to have live migration but not a HA
solution.
The webpage shows a bunch o tools i don’t know. I got a recommendation
for ovirt, but this seems to be strong related to RedHat/Fedora.
I’d prefer a tool which relies on libvirt and does not run the vm’s
itself (liko ovirt it does).
I like web-based tools. It should not be too complicated because, after
establishing the virtualization solution, i will leave and two people
have to care about who are
no sysadmins.

Has anyone experience with one of these and can recommend s.th. ?[/color]

I use virt-manager exclusively when not using SUSE OpenStack Cloud (SOC)
which is a much bigger, but also much better, implementation of everything
since it provides a lot of the features you may want, including a web UI
to manage a lot of things. With just two hosts it would probably be
overkill, but the trainings are done on a single big VM host, or maybe two
or three, just for demo purposes. virt-manager can connect to remote
hosts and manage them as well as local ones, so while not web-based it
does work across many systems well.

I did not think that oVirt actually ran the VMs; are you sure it does?
Since it indicates it uses KVM, I though otherwise, but I have minimal
experience there.

Once upon a time I used Convirt (
https://www.convirture.com/products_opensource.php ) which was pretty
neat. It’s been a while, but it sounds like what you’re after.

–
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below…