Multimedia for SLED 12 SP1

Hi,

I’m looking for a stable distro, and I’ve been an openSUSE user for long, but been having more and more issues. I’ve been thinking about purchasing SLED for my laptop I use for work, but I would also like to have additional codecs available, like i did from packman on openSUSE. Is there any way to obtain additional multimedia (vlc, codecs et al.)

Kind regards,

Hi and welcome to the SUSE forum :wink:
I use fluendo codecs and videolan repo for VLC/libdvdcss2, but just having fluendo codec bundle should suffice.

What are you multimedia requirements? There is a SLE repo on packman, but at present they are trying to clean things up (moves too far ahead in the releases) to stabilize builds.

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;33289]Hi and welcome to the SUSE forum :wink:
I use fluendo codecs and videolan repo for VLC/libdvdcss2, but just having fluendo codec bundle should suffice.

What are you multimedia requirements? There is a SLE repo on packman, but at present they are trying to clean things up (moves too far ahead in the releases) to stabilize builds.[/QUOTE]

Hi Malcolm, good to see you here! You’ve been a help over the past couple of years on openSUSE too.

My multimedia requirements are audio (mp3, mp4 and flac)/video codecs, vlc, flash for streaming. That’s about it.

So there shouldn’t be a problem if I download and install from Packman? And which repo do you use for fluendo and vlc?

Kind regards,

[QUOTE=holden87;33292]Hi Malcolm, good to see you here! You’ve been a help over the past couple of years on openSUSE too.

My multimedia requirements are audio (mp3, mp4 and flac)/video codecs, vlc, flash for streaming. That’s about it.

So there shouldn’t be a problem if I download and install from Packman? And which repo do you use for fluendo and vlc?

Kind regards,[/QUOTE]
Hi
Flash, well if I need it I just download the version from adobe and extract the libflashplayer.so and pop that into /usr/lib64/browser-plugins, else I resist it as much as possible…

Fluendo codecs are purchased from their website… covers all the general codecs you listed.

For vlc I use https://download.videolan.org/SuSE/SLE12

The packman repo, to be honest until they get some better version control, just add the videolan one to start with…

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;33293]Hi
Flash, well if I need it I just download the version from adobe and extract the libflashplayer.so and pop that into /usr/lib64/browser-plugins, else I resist it as much as possible…

Fluendo codecs are purchased from their website… covers all the general codecs you listed.

For vlc I use https://download.videolan.org/SuSE/SLE12

The packman repo, to be honest until they get some better version control, just add the videolan one to start with…[/QUOTE]

Oh great, I never knew you can purchase codecs this way, always thought they have to be bundled with the system, that being either mac or win. So basically i have to purchase the codec pack, and install the rpm. And this rpm works with sled 12?

Hi
Yes, no issues here, install one rpm and away you go…

–
Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.1|GNOME 3.16.2|4.1.26-21-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Hello,

Maybe this will help? I managed to get it running on my then SLED 12 SP1 notebook https://www.suse.com/communities/blog/additional-multimedia-codec-support-sled-12/

[QUOTE=holden87;33288]Hi,

I’m looking for a stable distro, and I’ve been an openSUSE user for long, but been having more and more issues. I’ve been thinking about purchasing SLED for my laptop I use for work, but I would also like to have additional codecs available, like i did from packman on openSUSE. Is there any way to obtain additional multimedia (vlc, codecs et al.)

Kind regards,[/QUOTE]

To play a MP3 Audio file from a web page (with Firefox ESR 45@SLED12SP1):

you need ONEPLAY Codec Pack (from Fluendo) AND a special configuration in Firefox ESR 45:

1.) Please go to about:config
2.) and find media.gstreamer.enable-blacklist
3.) Set this to false

Test pages:
http://hpr.dogphilosophy.net/test/ (=> FLAC files aren’t supported by Firefox ESR 45@SLED12SP1)

http://www.quirksmode.org/html5/tests/video.html