PDA

View Full Version : Sigh................



Stevo
19-Jun-2012, 16:30
We're almost done moving from nw65 to sles/oes. Only have 4 nw65 boxes
left, and they should be gone in the next week or two.

Just removed edir from the server that was the CA, SLP, master replica
and time server for my tree for the past 7-10 years................sigh

--
Stevo

Bob
19-Jun-2012, 23:48
Understand the feeling. I just finished last Tuesday doing this for a
small school campus. SLES/OES is nice. Unfortunately, now I'm looking
for another job.



On 6/19/2012 11:30 AM, Stevo wrote:
> We're almost done moving from nw65 to sles/oes. Only have 4 nw65 boxes
> left, and they should be gone in the next week or two.
>
> Just removed edir from the server that was the CA, SLP, master replica
> and time server for my tree for the past 7-10 years................sigh
>

Stevo
19-Jun-2012, 23:54
Bob sounds like they 'said':

> Understand the feeling. I just finished last Tuesday doing this for
> a small school campus. SLES/OES is nice. Unfortunately, now I'm
> looking for another job.

So my response to Bob's comment is...

Well that hoovers, hope you find something soon.

--
Stevo

nop1983
20-Jun-2012, 09:49
Stevo wrote:

> We're almost done moving from nw65 to sles/oes. Only have 4 nw65
> boxes left, and they should be gone in the next week or two.
>
> Just removed edir from the server that was the CA, SLP, master replica
> and time server for my tree for the past 7-10
> years................sigh

Same here... just at the end of the road of our nw65 environment,
closing down sometime in the next month or so.

--
--

Niels Poulsen

Novell Knowledge Partner

-------------------------------
A TRUE RED DEVIL

GofBorg
26-Jun-2012, 20:59
> We're almost done moving from nw65 to sles/oes. Only have 4 nw65 boxes
> left, and they should be gone in the next week or two.

I haven't begun the process but it is on the docket. Going through a major
AIX/Oracle upgrade at the moment. Should be completed around September.

Stevo
26-Jun-2012, 22:07
GofBorg sounds like they 'said':

> > We're almost done moving from nw65 to sles/oes. Only have 4 nw65
> > boxes left, and they should be gone in the next week or two.
>
> I haven't begun the process but it is on the docket. Going through a
> major AIX/Oracle upgrade at the moment. Should be completed around
> September.

So my response to GofBorg's comment is...

We are down to two nw65 servers. Just migrated data/email from one
this last weekend, so it's just sitting for now. Other one houses our
old gwia, still trying to catch straggler devices using it to send
email that have not been changed to the new gwia.

--
Stevo

GofBorg
27-Jun-2012, 16:30
> We are down to two nw65 servers. Just migrated data/email from one
> this last weekend, so it's just sitting for now. Other one houses our
> old gwia, still trying to catch straggler devices using it to send
> email that have not been changed to the new gwia.

I have 2 as well. One is still our primary file store, the other is
a VM that acts as a failover in case the main file store goes tango uniform.
For our usage case there really is NO reason, zero, zip, nada to change it.
I assume that someday there will be a serious client issue that will be a
downer which is the only reason I am even pondering the move. In any case,
I've waited this long I'm hoping SLES/OES whatever it's called these days
will be well sorted out by now to make a decent replacement. The whole
OES thing doesn't give me the warm fuzzies (still unsure of Novell's
committment to it) so I may replace it with SuSE and
be done with it.

nop1983
28-Jun-2012, 07:29
Niels Poulsen wrote:

> Stevo wrote:
>
> > We're almost done moving from nw65 to sles/oes. Only have 4 nw65
> > boxes left, and they should be gone in the next week or two.
> >
> > Just removed edir from the server that was the CA, SLP, master
> > replica and time server for my tree for the past 7-10
> > years................sigh
>
> Same here... just at the end of the road of our nw65 environment,
> closing down sometime in the next month or so.

Well... we closed our servers... then 2 min. later the help desk was
completely helpless since they for some reason still used the iManager
to manage users, even though we use AD as our primary directory... Oh
well now it's up and running again ;-)

--
--

Niels Poulsen

Novell Knowledge Partner

-------------------------------
A TRUE RED DEVIL

Stevo
28-Jun-2012, 16:31
Well, the last netware server is going away...........

Kind of a sad day


--
Stevo

JayZie
28-Jun-2012, 16:35
On 6/28/2012 11:31 AM, Stevo wrote:
> Well, the last netware server is going away...........
>
> Kind of a sad day
>
>

*pours beer on ground for passed homies*

Stevo
28-Jun-2012, 18:01
JayZie sounds like they 'said':

> *pours beer on ground for passed homies*

So my response to JayZie's comment is...

Thanks dude..........

--
Stevo

KeN Etter
29-Jun-2012, 13:47
On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 15:30:35 GMT, GofBorg
<GofBorg@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

>I have 2 as well. One is still our primary file store, the other is
>a VM that acts as a failover in case the main file store goes tango uniform.
>For our usage case there really is NO reason, zero, zip, nada to change it.
>I assume that someday there will be a serious client issue that will be a
>downer which is the only reason I am even pondering the move. In any case,
>I've waited this long I'm hoping SLES/OES whatever it's called these days
>will be well sorted out by now to make a decent replacement. The whole
>OES thing doesn't give me the warm fuzzies (still unsure of Novell's
>committment to it) so I may replace it with SuSE and
>be done with it.

I'm liking OES 11 so far. Just started putting it into production.
Netware 6.5 until now...so this is my first OES Linux experience. Two
OES 11 servers running at the moment. By next week I should have all
services moved off of my main nw server and I can redeploy the
hardware as another OES 11 server.

Ken

Stevo
29-Jun-2012, 14:43
KeN Etter sounds like they 'said':

> I'm liking OES 11 so far. Just started putting it into production.
> Netware 6.5 until now...so this is my first OES Linux experience. Two
> OES 11 servers running at the moment. By next week I should have all
> services moved off of my main nw server and I can redeploy the
> hardware as another OES 11 server.

So my response to KeN's comment is...

I'm getting used to & liking OES linux. We're a mix of oes2sp3 &
oes11. Went w/ oes2 for many servers as some services would not
migrate from nw65 to oes11. Plus we're still running gw7, so some
parts of that simply would not install on oes11.

--
Stevo

KeN Etter
29-Jun-2012, 15:17
On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 13:43:39 GMT, "Stevo" <steveSPAM@LESSccgov.net>
wrote:

>I'm getting used to & liking OES linux. We're a mix of oes2sp3 &
>oes11. Went w/ oes2 for many servers as some services would not
>migrate from nw65 to oes11. Plus we're still running gw7, so some
>parts of that simply would not install on oes11.

You need to get current GW. I like 8...but as soon as I finish my
current server services migration, I'm going to use the hardware for a
new GW2012 server.

Ken

JayZie
29-Jun-2012, 16:01
>
> You need to get current GW. I like 8...but as soon as I finish my
> current server services migration, I'm going to use the hardware for a
> new GW2012 server.
>
> Ken
>


I could be wrong, (what else is new?<VBEG>) but I think that GW 12 is
the best release of GW since well... 6ish? But I haven't used GW in a
production environment in years so what do I know?

Stevo
29-Jun-2012, 16:25
KeN Etter sounds like they 'said':

> You need to get current GW. I like 8...but as soon as I finish my
> current server services migration, I'm going to use the hardware for a
> new GW2012 server.
>
> Ken

So my response to KeN's comment is...

That was part of the reason moving everything to oes linux, in the
budget this fiscal year to move to gw2012.

--
Stevo