PDA

View Full Version : drivers for ATI video card



KeN Etter
24-May-2013, 20:04
Just installed SLED 11 SP2 on a PC that I want to use to run a PDF
slideshow. The same hardware with Windows XP ran fine. Under SLED,
the transitions in the slide show are very choppy. I'm hoping that
maybe a driver update would solve the problem.

"lspci | grep VGA" gives me this info...
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV710 [Radeon
HD 4350]

I'm not sure how to check version.

The AMD site has a file for this graphics card. It is a run file.
amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-legacy-linux-x86.x86_64.run

But the run file doesn't want to run. I can't find out how to install
it. Any suggestions? Or should I just go back to using Windows?

Ken

malcolmlewis
24-May-2013, 21:10
On Fri 24 May 2013 07:04:38 PM CDT, KeN Etter wrote:

Just installed SLED 11 SP2 on a PC that I want to use to run a PDF
slideshow. The same hardware with Windows XP ran fine. Under SLED,
the transitions in the slide show are very choppy. I'm hoping that
maybe a driver update would solve the problem.

"lspci | grep VGA" gives me this info...
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV710 [Radeon
HD 4350]

I'm not sure how to check version.

The AMD site has a file for this graphics card. It is a run file.
amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.1-legacy-linux-x86.x86_64.run

But the run file doesn't want to run. I can't find out how to install
it. Any suggestions? Or should I just go back to using Windows?

Ken


Hi
I run the script from the section" Building yourself the rpm" here;
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx_legacy

Did you change the files permission to make it executable?

Once installed I rebooted to run level 3 and ran sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx to
ensure the xorg conf file is correct.

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.4-desktop
up 19:59, 3 users, load average: 0.17, 0.17, 0.16
CPU AMD Athlon(tm) II P360@2.30GHz | GPU Mobility Radeon HD 4200

KeN Etter
28-May-2013, 16:03
On Fri, 24 May 2013 20:10:03 GMT, malcolmlewis
<malcolmlewis@no-mx.forums.suse.com> wrote:

>Hi
>I run the script from the section" Building yourself the rpm" here;
>http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx_legacy
>
>Did you change the files permission to make it executable?
>
>Once installed I rebooted to run level 3 and ran sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx to
>ensure the xorg conf file is correct.
>
>--
>Cheers Malcolm (Linux Counter #276890)
>openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.4-desktop
>up 19:59, 3 users, load average: 0.17, 0.17, 0.16
>CPU AMD Athlon(tm) II P360@2.30GHz | GPU Mobility Radeon HD 4200

Malcolm,

Thanks for the response. I had forgotten to make it executable, but
it didn't want to install due to some missing dependencies. So I
tried the script you suggested offered by Sebastian. That script took
care of the dependencies and everything installed fine. But I found
that the AMD driver is no better than the default Radeon driver. They
both have choppy transitions. Disappointing. It would have been so
convenient to run Linux on this PC. Now I need to figure out another
option.

Regards,
Ken

mikewillis
28-May-2013, 16:12
Thanks for the response. I had forgotten to make it executable, but
it didn't want to install due to some missing dependencies. So I
tried the script you suggested offered by Sebastian. That script took
care of the dependencies and everything installed fine. But I found
that the AMD driver is no better than the default Radeon driver.

That you state it's no better and that you mention installing the driver but not configuring X to use it makes me wonder, did you configure X to actually use the AMD driver?

malcolmlewis
28-May-2013, 16:26
On Tue 28 May 2013 03:03:24 PM CDT, KeN Etter wrote:

On Fri, 24 May 2013 20:10:03 GMT, malcolmlewis
<malcolmlewis@no-mx.forums.suse.com> wrote:

>Hi
>I run the script from the section" Building yourself the rpm" here;
>http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx_legacy
>
>Did you change the files permission to make it executable?
>
>Once installed I rebooted to run level 3 and ran sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx to
>ensure the xorg conf file is correct.
>
>--
>Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
>openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.4-desktop
>up 19:59, 3 users, load average: 0.17, 0.17, 0.16
>CPU AMD Athlon(tm) II P360@2.30GHz | GPU Mobility Radeon HD 4200

Malcolm,

Thanks for the response. I had forgotten to make it executable, but
it didn't want to install due to some missing dependencies. So I
tried the script you suggested offered by Sebastian. That script took
care of the dependencies and everything installed fine. But I found
that the AMD driver is no better than the default Radeon driver. They
both have choppy transitions. Disappointing. It would have been so
convenient to run Linux on this PC. Now I need to figure out another
option.

Regards,
Ken


Hi
You should also be able to tweak via the ATI control center, assuming
it was configured via sax2?

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.4-desktop
up 0:58, 4 users, load average: 0.03, 0.38, 1.33
CPU AMD Athlon(tm) II P360@2.30GHz | GPU Mobility Radeon HD 4200

KeN Etter
28-May-2013, 18:01
On Tue, 28 May 2013 15:14:03 GMT, mikewillis
<mikewillis@no-mx.forums.suse.com> wrote:

>
>KeN Etter;13761 Wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the response. I had forgotten to make it executable, but
>> it didn't want to install due to some missing dependencies. So I
>> tried the script you suggested offered by Sebastian. That script took
>> care of the dependencies and everything installed fine. But I found
>> that the AMD driver is no better than the default Radeon driver.
>
>That you state it's no better and that you mention installing the
>driver but not configuring X to use it makes me wonder, did you
>configure X to actually use the AMD driver?


Yes I did. Just figured that was assumed as part of installation. My
bad.

Ken

KeN Etter
28-May-2013, 18:27
On Tue, 28 May 2013 15:26:18 GMT, malcolmlewis
<malcolmlewis@no-mx.forums.suse.com> wrote:

>Hi
>You should also be able to tweak via the ATI control center, assuming
>it was configured via sax2?

Enabling the TearFree option in the ATI Control Center helped a
little, but it still isn't up to par with WinXP. And I can't find any
other settings that help. But thanks for the assistance.

Ken

malcolmlewis
28-May-2013, 19:20
On Tue 28 May 2013 05:27:28 PM CDT, KeN Etter wrote:

On Tue, 28 May 2013 15:26:18 GMT, malcolmlewis
<malcolmlewis@no-mx.forums.suse.com> wrote:

>Hi
>You should also be able to tweak via the ATI control center, assuming
>it was configured via sax2?

Enabling the TearFree option in the ATI Control Center helped a
little, but it still isn't up to par with WinXP. And I can't find any
other settings that help. But thanks for the assistance.

Ken


Hi
Hmmm, can you have a look through the /var/log/Xorg.log.0 and see if
there are any errors?

I have the following running without issues;


hwinfo --gfxcard
28: PCI 105.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)
[Created at pci.323]
UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_1002_9712
Unique ID: ul7N.pIUcyR5_J19
Parent ID: vSkL.ame4uzTnP54
SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:05.0
SysFS BusID: 0000:01:05.0
Hardware Class: graphics card
Model: "ATI M880G [Mobility Radeon HD 4200]"
Vendor: pci 0x1002 "ATI Technologies Inc"
Device: pci 0x9712 "M880G [Mobility Radeon HD 4200]"
SubVendor: pci 0x1025 "Acer Incorporated [ALI]"
SubDevice: pci 0x0292
Driver: "fglrx_pci"
Driver Modules: "fglrx"
Memory Range: 0xd0000000-0xdfffffff (ro,non-prefetchable)
I/O Ports: 0x9000-0x9fff (rw)
Memory Range: 0xcfdf0000-0xcfdfffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
Memory Range: 0xcfe00000-0xcfefffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
IRQ: 18 (1095314 events)
I/O Ports: 0x3c0-0x3df (rw)
Module Alias: "pci:v00001002d00009712sv00001025sd00000292bc03sc00 i00"
Driver Info #0:
Driver Status: radeon is not active
Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe radeon"
Driver Info #1:
Driver Status: fglrx is active
Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe fglrx"
Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
Attached to: #9 (PCI bridge)


--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.4-desktop
up 1:30, 3 users, load average: 0.01, 0.04, 0.05
CPU AMD Athlon(tm) II P360@2.30GHz | GPU Mobility Radeon HD 4200

KeN Etter
28-May-2013, 20:39
On Tue, 28 May 2013 18:20:07 GMT, malcolmlewis
<malcolmlewis@no-mx.forums.suse.com> wrote:

>

>On Tue 28 May 2013 05:27:28 PM CDT, KeN Etter wrote:
>
>On Tue, 28 May 2013 15:26:18 GMT, malcolmlewis
><malcolmlewis@no-mx.forums.suse.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>You should also be able to tweak via the ATI control center, assuming
>>it was configured via sax2?
>
>Enabling the TearFree option in the ATI Control Center helped a
>little, but it still isn't up to par with WinXP. And I can't find any
>other settings that help. But thanks for the assistance.
>
>Ken
>
>
>Hi
>Hmmm, can you have a look through the /var/log/Xorg.log.0 and see if
>there are any errors?
>
>I have the following running without issues;
>

> hwinfo --gfxcard
>28: PCI 105.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)
> [Created at pci.323]
> UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_1002_9712
> Unique ID: ul7N.pIUcyR5_J19
> Parent ID: vSkL.ame4uzTnP54
> SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:05.0
> SysFS BusID: 0000:01:05.0
> Hardware Class: graphics card
> Model: "ATI M880G [Mobility Radeon HD 4200]"
> Vendor: pci 0x1002 "ATI Technologies Inc"
> Device: pci 0x9712 "M880G [Mobility Radeon HD 4200]"
> SubVendor: pci 0x1025 "Acer Incorporated [ALI]"
> SubDevice: pci 0x0292
> Driver: "fglrx_pci"
> Driver Modules: "fglrx"
> Memory Range: 0xd0000000-0xdfffffff (ro,non-prefetchable)
> I/O Ports: 0x9000-0x9fff (rw)
> Memory Range: 0xcfdf0000-0xcfdfffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
> Memory Range: 0xcfe00000-0xcfefffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
> IRQ: 18 (1095314 events)
> I/O Ports: 0x3c0-0x3df (rw)
> Module Alias: "pci:v00001002d00009712sv00001025sd00000292bc03sc00 i00"
> Driver Info #0:
> Driver Status: radeon is not active
> Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe radeon"
> Driver Info #1:
> Driver Status: fglrx is active
> Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe fglrx"
> Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
> Attached to: #9 (PCI bridge)
>


Couldn't find any errors. Here is my hwinfo output...

pc259:/var/log # hwinfo --gfxcard
33: PCI 100.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)
[Created at pci.323]
UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_1002_954f
Unique ID: VCu0.oCwB24_G3r1
Parent ID: vSkL.BVklFjEd7AA
SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0
SysFS BusID: 0000:01:00.0
Hardware Class: graphics card
Model: "ATI RV710 [Radeon HD 4350]"
Vendor: pci 0x1002 "ATI Technologies Inc"
Device: pci 0x954f "RV710 [Radeon HD 4350]"
SubVendor: pci 0x1043 "ASUSTeK Computer Inc."
SubDevice: pci 0x02a8
Driver: "fglrx_pci"
Driver Modules: "fglrx"
Memory Range: 0xd0000000-0xdfffffff (ro,non-prefetchable)
Memory Range: 0xe0100000-0xe010ffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
I/O Ports: 0x2000-0x2fff (rw)
Memory Range: 0xe0120000-0xe013ffff (ro,non-prefetchable,disabled)
IRQ: 49 (812712 events)
I/O Ports: 0x3c0-0x3df (rw)
Module Alias:
"pci:v00001002d0000954Fsv00001043sd000002A8bc03sc00 i00"
Driver Info #0:
Driver Status: radeon is not active
Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe radeon"
Driver Info #1:
Driver Status: fglrx is active
Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe fglrx"
Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
Attached to: #10 (PCI bridge)

Primary display adapter: #33

malcolmlewis
30-May-2013, 00:58
On Tue 28 May 2013 07:39:56 PM CDT, KeN Etter wrote:

On Tue, 28 May 2013 18:20:07 GMT, malcolmlewis
<malcolmlewis@no-mx.forums.suse.com> wrote:

>

>On Tue 28 May 2013 05:27:28 PM CDT, KeN Etter wrote:
>
>On Tue, 28 May 2013 15:26:18 GMT, malcolmlewis
><malcolmlewis@no-mx.forums.suse.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi
>>You should also be able to tweak via the ATI control center, assuming
>>it was configured via sax2?
>
>Enabling the TearFree option in the ATI Control Center helped a
>little, but it still isn't up to par with WinXP. And I can't find any
>other settings that help. But thanks for the assistance.
>
>Ken
>
>
>Hi
>Hmmm, can you have a look through the /var/log/Xorg.log.0 and see if
>there are any errors?
>
>I have the following running without issues;
>

> hwinfo --gfxcard
>28: PCI 105.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)
> [Created at pci.323]
> UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_1002_9712
> Unique ID: ul7N.pIUcyR5_J19
> Parent ID: vSkL.ame4uzTnP54
> SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:05.0
> SysFS BusID: 0000:01:05.0
> Hardware Class: graphics card
> Model: "ATI M880G [Mobility Radeon HD 4200]"
> Vendor: pci 0x1002 "ATI Technologies Inc"
> Device: pci 0x9712 "M880G [Mobility Radeon HD 4200]"
> SubVendor: pci 0x1025 "Acer Incorporated [ALI]"
> SubDevice: pci 0x0292
> Driver: "fglrx_pci"
> Driver Modules: "fglrx"
> Memory Range: 0xd0000000-0xdfffffff (ro,non-prefetchable)
> I/O Ports: 0x9000-0x9fff (rw)
> Memory Range: 0xcfdf0000-0xcfdfffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
> Memory Range: 0xcfe00000-0xcfefffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
> IRQ: 18 (1095314 events)
> I/O Ports: 0x3c0-0x3df (rw)
> Module Alias: "pci:v00001002d00009712sv00001025sd00000292bc03sc00 i00"
> Driver Info #0:
> Driver Status: radeon is not active
> Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe radeon"
> Driver Info #1:
> Driver Status: fglrx is active
> Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe fglrx"
> Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
> Attached to: #9 (PCI bridge)
>


Couldn't find any errors. Here is my hwinfo output...

pc259:/var/log # hwinfo --gfxcard
33: PCI 100.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)
[Created at pci.323]
UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_1002_954f
Unique ID: VCu0.oCwB24_G3r1
Parent ID: vSkL.BVklFjEd7AA
SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0
SysFS BusID: 0000:01:00.0
Hardware Class: graphics card
Model: "ATI RV710 [Radeon HD 4350]"
Vendor: pci 0x1002 "ATI Technologies Inc"
Device: pci 0x954f "RV710 [Radeon HD 4350]"
SubVendor: pci 0x1043 "ASUSTeK Computer Inc."
SubDevice: pci 0x02a8
Driver: "fglrx_pci"
Driver Modules: "fglrx"
Memory Range: 0xd0000000-0xdfffffff (ro,non-prefetchable)
Memory Range: 0xe0100000-0xe010ffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
I/O Ports: 0x2000-0x2fff (rw)
Memory Range: 0xe0120000-0xe013ffff (ro,non-prefetchable,disabled)
IRQ: 49 (812712 events)
I/O Ports: 0x3c0-0x3df (rw)
Module Alias:
"pci:v00001002d0000954Fsv00001043sd000002A8bc03sc00 i00"
Driver Info #0:
Driver Status: radeon is not active
Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe radeon"
Driver Info #1:
Driver Status: fglrx is active
Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe fglrx"
Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
Attached to: #10 (PCI bridge)

Primary display adapter: #33


Hi
So if you re-run sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx at runlevel 3 are there any options
you can reconfigure here?

Your running KDE as the DE? What applications are you having issues
with or some examples of what your seeing so I can see if I can
duplicate (although I run GNOME DE).
--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.11-desktop
up 10:04, 3 users, load average: 0.37, 0.54, 0.35
CPU AMD Athlon(tm) II P360@2.30GHz | GPU Mobility Radeon HD 4200

KeN Etter
30-May-2013, 14:29
On Wed, 29 May 2013 23:58:04 GMT, malcolmlewis
<malcolmlewis@no-mx.forums.suse.com> wrote:

>

>On Tue 28 May 2013 07:39:56 PM CDT, KeN Etter wrote:
>
>On Tue, 28 May 2013 18:20:07 GMT, malcolmlewis
><malcolmlewis@no-mx.forums.suse.com> wrote:
>
>>

>>On Tue 28 May 2013 05:27:28 PM CDT, KeN Etter wrote:
>>
>>On Tue, 28 May 2013 15:26:18 GMT, malcolmlewis
>><malcolmlewis@no-mx.forums.suse.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>You should also be able to tweak via the ATI control center, assuming
>>>it was configured via sax2?
>>
>>Enabling the TearFree option in the ATI Control Center helped a
>>little, but it still isn't up to par with WinXP. And I can't find any
>>other settings that help. But thanks for the assistance.
>>
>>Ken
>>
>>
>>Hi
>>Hmmm, can you have a look through the /var/log/Xorg.log.0 and see if
>>there are any errors?
>>
>>I have the following running without issues;
>>

>> hwinfo --gfxcard
>>28: PCI 105.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)
>> [Created at pci.323]
>> UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_1002_9712
>> Unique ID: ul7N.pIUcyR5_J19
>> Parent ID: vSkL.ame4uzTnP54
>> SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:05.0
>> SysFS BusID: 0000:01:05.0
>> Hardware Class: graphics card
>> Model: "ATI M880G [Mobility Radeon HD 4200]"
>> Vendor: pci 0x1002 "ATI Technologies Inc"
>> Device: pci 0x9712 "M880G [Mobility Radeon HD 4200]"
>> SubVendor: pci 0x1025 "Acer Incorporated [ALI]"
>> SubDevice: pci 0x0292
>> Driver: "fglrx_pci"
>> Driver Modules: "fglrx"
>> Memory Range: 0xd0000000-0xdfffffff (ro,non-prefetchable)
>> I/O Ports: 0x9000-0x9fff (rw)
>> Memory Range: 0xcfdf0000-0xcfdfffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
>> Memory Range: 0xcfe00000-0xcfefffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
>> IRQ: 18 (1095314 events)
>> I/O Ports: 0x3c0-0x3df (rw)
>> Module Alias: "pci:v00001002d00009712sv00001025sd00000292bc03sc00 i00"
>> Driver Info #0:
>> Driver Status: radeon is not active
>> Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe radeon"
>> Driver Info #1:
>> Driver Status: fglrx is active
>> Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe fglrx"
>> Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
>> Attached to: #9 (PCI bridge)
>>
>
>
>Couldn't find any errors. Here is my hwinfo output...
>
>pc259:/var/log # hwinfo --gfxcard
>33: PCI 100.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)
> [Created at pci.323]
> UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_1002_954f
> Unique ID: VCu0.oCwB24_G3r1
> Parent ID: vSkL.BVklFjEd7AA
> SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0
> SysFS BusID: 0000:01:00.0
> Hardware Class: graphics card
> Model: "ATI RV710 [Radeon HD 4350]"
> Vendor: pci 0x1002 "ATI Technologies Inc"
> Device: pci 0x954f "RV710 [Radeon HD 4350]"
> SubVendor: pci 0x1043 "ASUSTeK Computer Inc."
> SubDevice: pci 0x02a8
> Driver: "fglrx_pci"
> Driver Modules: "fglrx"
> Memory Range: 0xd0000000-0xdfffffff (ro,non-prefetchable)
> Memory Range: 0xe0100000-0xe010ffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
> I/O Ports: 0x2000-0x2fff (rw)
> Memory Range: 0xe0120000-0xe013ffff (ro,non-prefetchable,disabled)
> IRQ: 49 (812712 events)
> I/O Ports: 0x3c0-0x3df (rw)
> Module Alias:
>"pci:v00001002d0000954Fsv00001043sd000002A8bc03sc00 i00"
> Driver Info #0:
> Driver Status: radeon is not active
> Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe radeon"
> Driver Info #1:
> Driver Status: fglrx is active
> Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe fglrx"
> Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
> Attached to: #10 (PCI bridge)
>
>Primary display adapter: #33
>
>
>Hi
>So if you re-run sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx at runlevel 3 are there any options
>you can reconfigure here?
>
>Your running KDE as the DE? What applications are you having issues
>with or some examples of what your seeing so I can see if I can
>duplicate (although I run GNOME DE).

Malcolm,

Well this is just frustrating. I had uninstalled the ATI drivers to
see if the on-board video was any better - it wasn't. So I just tried
re-installing the ATI drivers so I could rerun sax2 and see if there
were any options. Unfortunately, now sax2 is hanging. It says:

SaX: initializing please wait...
SaX: your current configuration will not be read in

That is it. It does not want to go further than that.

I'm aware that KDE and GNOME exist, but I don't know the difference
between them. I'm running whatever is the SLED default. All I wanted
to do was use this PC to run a continuous slide show in the lobby of
our office. All it has to do is sit there and run a PDF slide show at
1920 x 1080. WinXP can do this with the same hardware, but with WinXP
going out of support in April 2014, I thought I would find an
alternate solution. Maybe I just need to continue to run XP and not
worry about it. It is an isolated PC so it isn't that big of a deal
if I continue to run XP on it.

So far, my searching hasn't found any solutions to the sax2 hang other
than re-installing the drivers. I did that but it still hangs. If
you have suggestions to fix this, I will give it a shot. If not, I
will probably drop this project. I have too much to do to waste time
trying to make SLED work when XP will already do what I need without
any extra effort.

If you want to try the slideshow, I can send you a link to download it
if you provide an email address. The PDF is 76 MB.

Regardless of whether this gets resolved, I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Ken

malcolmlewis
30-May-2013, 14:59
On Thu 30 May 2013 01:29:11 PM CDT, KeN Etter wrote:

On Wed, 29 May 2013 23:58:04 GMT, malcolmlewis
<malcolmlewis@no-mx.forums.suse.com> wrote:

>

>On Tue 28 May 2013 07:39:56 PM CDT, KeN Etter wrote:
>
>On Tue, 28 May 2013 18:20:07 GMT, malcolmlewis
><malcolmlewis@no-mx.forums.suse.com> wrote:
>
>>

>>On Tue 28 May 2013 05:27:28 PM CDT, KeN Etter wrote:
>>
>>On Tue, 28 May 2013 15:26:18 GMT, malcolmlewis
>><malcolmlewis@no-mx.forums.suse.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>You should also be able to tweak via the ATI control center, assuming
>>>it was configured via sax2?
>>
>>Enabling the TearFree option in the ATI Control Center helped a
>>little, but it still isn't up to par with WinXP. And I can't find any
>>other settings that help. But thanks for the assistance.
>>
>>Ken
>>
>>
>>Hi
>>Hmmm, can you have a look through the /var/log/Xorg.log.0 and see if
>>there are any errors?
>>
>>I have the following running without issues;
>>

>> hwinfo --gfxcard
>>28: PCI 105.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)
>> [Created at pci.323]
>> UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_1002_9712
>> Unique ID: ul7N.pIUcyR5_J19
>> Parent ID: vSkL.ame4uzTnP54
>> SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:05.0
>> SysFS BusID: 0000:01:05.0
>> Hardware Class: graphics card
>> Model: "ATI M880G [Mobility Radeon HD 4200]"
>> Vendor: pci 0x1002 "ATI Technologies Inc"
>> Device: pci 0x9712 "M880G [Mobility Radeon HD 4200]"
>> SubVendor: pci 0x1025 "Acer Incorporated [ALI]"
>> SubDevice: pci 0x0292
>> Driver: "fglrx_pci"
>> Driver Modules: "fglrx"
>> Memory Range: 0xd0000000-0xdfffffff (ro,non-prefetchable)
>> I/O Ports: 0x9000-0x9fff (rw)
>> Memory Range: 0xcfdf0000-0xcfdfffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
>> Memory Range: 0xcfe00000-0xcfefffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
>> IRQ: 18 (1095314 events)
>> I/O Ports: 0x3c0-0x3df (rw)
>> Module Alias:
>> "pci:v00001002d00009712sv00001025sd00000292bc03sc00 i00" Driver Info
>> #0: Driver Status: radeon is not active
>> Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe radeon"
>> Driver Info #1:
>> Driver Status: fglrx is active
>> Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe fglrx"
>> Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
>> Attached to: #9 (PCI bridge)
>>
>
>
>Couldn't find any errors. Here is my hwinfo output...
>
>pc259:/var/log # hwinfo --gfxcard
>33: PCI 100.0: 0300 VGA compatible controller (VGA)
> [Created at pci.323]
> UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_1002_954f
> Unique ID: VCu0.oCwB24_G3r1
> Parent ID: vSkL.BVklFjEd7AA
> SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0
> SysFS BusID: 0000:01:00.0
> Hardware Class: graphics card
> Model: "ATI RV710 [Radeon HD 4350]"
> Vendor: pci 0x1002 "ATI Technologies Inc"
> Device: pci 0x954f "RV710 [Radeon HD 4350]"
> SubVendor: pci 0x1043 "ASUSTeK Computer Inc."
> SubDevice: pci 0x02a8
> Driver: "fglrx_pci"
> Driver Modules: "fglrx"
> Memory Range: 0xd0000000-0xdfffffff (ro,non-prefetchable)
> Memory Range: 0xe0100000-0xe010ffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
> I/O Ports: 0x2000-0x2fff (rw)
> Memory Range: 0xe0120000-0xe013ffff (ro,non-prefetchable,disabled)
> IRQ: 49 (812712 events)
> I/O Ports: 0x3c0-0x3df (rw)
> Module Alias:
>"pci:v00001002d0000954Fsv00001043sd000002A8bc03sc00 i00"
> Driver Info #0:
> Driver Status: radeon is not active
> Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe radeon"
> Driver Info #1:
> Driver Status: fglrx is active
> Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe fglrx"
> Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
> Attached to: #10 (PCI bridge)
>
>Primary display adapter: #33
>
>
>Hi
>So if you re-run sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx at runlevel 3 are there any options
>you can reconfigure here?
>
>Your running KDE as the DE? What applications are you having issues
>with or some examples of what your seeing so I can see if I can
>duplicate (although I run GNOME DE).

Malcolm,

Well this is just frustrating. I had uninstalled the ATI drivers to
see if the on-board video was any better - it wasn't. So I just tried
re-installing the ATI drivers so I could rerun sax2 and see if there
were any options. Unfortunately, now sax2 is hanging. It says:

SaX: initializing please wait...
SaX: your current configuration will not be read in

That is it. It does not want to go further than that.

I'm aware that KDE and GNOME exist, but I don't know the difference
between them. I'm running whatever is the SLED default. All I wanted
to do was use this PC to run a continuous slide show in the lobby of
our office. All it has to do is sit there and run a PDF slide show at
1920 x 1080. WinXP can do this with the same hardware, but with WinXP
going out of support in April 2014, I thought I would find an
alternate solution. Maybe I just need to continue to run XP and not
worry about it. It is an isolated PC so it isn't that big of a deal
if I continue to run XP on it.

So far, my searching hasn't found any solutions to the sax2 hang other
than re-installing the drivers. I did that but it still hangs. If
you have suggestions to fix this, I will give it a shot. If not, I
will probably drop this project. I have too much to do to waste time
trying to make SLED work when XP will already do what I need without
any extra effort.

If you want to try the slideshow, I can send you a link to download it
if you provide an email address. The PDF is 76 MB.

Regardless of whether this gets resolved, I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Ken


Hi
Well I would guess 11 SP3 should be out by then ;) I would like to
investigate further so my email is malcolmlewis{at}opensuse{dot}org and
can try it out sincee we have similar hardware.

I wonder since you have an onboard card it's making a difference, what
gfx card is the internal one?

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.11-desktop
up 1 day 0:06, 3 users, load average: 0.05, 0.03, 0.05
CPU AMD Athlon(tm) II P360@2.30GHz | GPU Mobility Radeon HD 4200

malcolmlewis
30-May-2013, 15:06
Hi
Also you might try disabling desktop effects, in the slab menu ->
control center->desktop effects and see if that makes a difference.

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.11-desktop
up 1 day 0:14, 3 users, load average: 0.01, 0.06, 0.05
CPU AMD Athlon(tm) II P360@2.30GHz | GPU Mobility Radeon HD 4200

KeN Etter
30-May-2013, 15:42
On Thu, 30 May 2013 13:59:42 GMT, malcolmlewis
<malcolmlewis@no-mx.forums.suse.com> wrote:

>Hi
>Well I would guess 11 SP3 should be out by then ;) I would like to
>investigate further so my email is malcolmlewis{at}opensuse{dot}org and
>can try it out sincee we have similar hardware.

I just uploaded the file to our file transfer server...you should be
getting an email with a download link.

>I wonder since you have an onboard card it's making a difference, what
>gfx card is the internal one?

The motherboard has Intel Q965 Express Chipset.

Ken

KeN Etter
30-May-2013, 15:44
On Thu, 30 May 2013 14:06:40 GMT, malcolmlewis
<malcolmlewis@no-mx.forums.suse.com> wrote:

>Hi
>Also you might try disabling desktop effects, in the slab menu ->
>control center->desktop effects and see if that makes a difference.

First I need to get the graphics functioning again. Right now
runlevel 5 just gives me a screen full of vertical green lines.

Ken

malcolmlewis
30-May-2013, 19:11
On Thu 30 May 2013 02:44:55 PM CDT, KeN Etter wrote:

On Thu, 30 May 2013 14:06:40 GMT, malcolmlewis
<malcolmlewis@no-mx.forums.suse.com> wrote:

>Hi
>Also you might try disabling desktop effects, in the slab menu ->
>control center->desktop effects and see if that makes a difference.

First I need to get the graphics functioning again. Right now
runlevel 5 just gives me a screen full of vertical green lines.

Ken


Hi
Ouch!! can you try re-installing yast2-x11 and sax2;


zypper in -f yast2-x11 perl-XML-SAX sax2 sax2-gui sax2-ident sax2-libsax sax2-libsax-perl sax2-tools
mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx


So I tested with acroread and the transition from one to the next is
sort of jerky a definite pause with one fading out and the other fading
in, I'm assuming on XP there is no sort of pause?

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.11-desktop
up 1 day 4:11, 3 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05
CPU AMD Athlon(tm) II P360@2.30GHz | GPU Mobility Radeon HD 4200

KeN Etter
30-May-2013, 21:05
On Thu, 30 May 2013 18:11:59 GMT, malcolmlewis
<malcolmlewis@no-mx.forums.suse.com> wrote:

>[/QUOTE]
>Hi
>Ouch!! can you try re-installing yast2-x11 and sax2;
>

>zypper in -f yast2-x11 perl-XML-SAX sax2 sax2-gui sax2-ident sax2-libsax sax2-libsax-perl sax2-tools
>mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup
>sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx
>

I must have managed to screw this one up good. That didn't fix it.
And I just realized too that changing to runlevel 3 does not have any
affect...still just vertical green lines.

All I did was run the makerpm-amd-13.1-legacy.sh script with the
uninstall option. Then rebooted the PC with the monitor attached to
the onboard graphics port. The onboard graphics card displayed ok,
but didn't handle the slideshow transitions any better. So I reran
the script to reinstall the ATI driver and rebooted the PC with the
monitor attached to the ATI card. And that is when I got the green
lines. I assume I messed up some simple setting during the process,
but I'm not familiar enough with SLED to even know where to look. I'm
still getting comfortable with SLES on my servers.

>So I tested with acroread and the transition from one to the next is
>sort of jerky a definite pause with one fading out and the other fading
>in, I'm assuming on XP there is no sort of pause?

Yep... XP gives us a smooth transition from pic to pic - no pauses or
jerks - looks really good. SLED 11 pauses and jerks - not good.

Ken

KeN Etter
30-May-2013, 21:19
Ok, on a whim I just swapped out the video card. I have a few
identical ones. Rebooted the PC and no more green lines. Maybe that
graphics card just happened to die while I was doing the testing. I
now have a visible desktop, but I still have the jerks and pauses
during the PDF slideshow. Disabling Desktop Effects doesn't fix it.
Any other suggestions?

Ken

malcolmlewis
30-May-2013, 23:27
On Thu 30 May 2013 08:19:03 PM CDT, KeN Etter wrote:

Ok, on a whim I just swapped out the video card. I have a few
identical ones. Rebooted the PC and no more green lines. Maybe that
graphics card just happened to die while I was doing the testing. I
now have a visible desktop, but I still have the jerks and pauses
during the PDF slideshow. Disabling Desktop Effects doesn't fix it.
Any other suggestions?

Ken


Hi
Check the BIOS settings for aperture size, that its set to the right
slot for the card rather than onboard.

Run sax2 again just to check the settings you can tweak for the card.

Disable unnecessary services via the runlevel editor in YaST.

You might try logging out and login to IceWM and run an xterm and
start the pdf via CLI.

--
Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.11-desktop
up 1 day 8:32, 3 users, load average: 0.07, 0.03, 0.05
CPU AMD Athlon(tm) II P360@2.30GHz | GPU Mobility Radeon HD 4200

KeN Etter
31-May-2013, 14:27
On Thu, 30 May 2013 22:27:36 GMT, malcolmlewis
<malcolmlewis@no-mx.forums.suse.com> wrote:

>

>On Thu 30 May 2013 08:19:03 PM CDT, KeN Etter wrote:
>
>Ok, on a whim I just swapped out the video card. I have a few
>identical ones. Rebooted the PC and no more green lines. Maybe that
>graphics card just happened to die while I was doing the testing. I
>now have a visible desktop, but I still have the jerks and pauses
>during the PDF slideshow. Disabling Desktop Effects doesn't fix it.
>Any other suggestions?
>
>Ken
>
>
>Hi
>Check the BIOS settings for aperture size, that its set to the right
>slot for the card rather than onboard.

Set correctly.

>Run sax2 again just to check the settings you can tweak for the card.

Done.

>Disable unnecessary services via the runlevel editor in YaST.

Done.

>You might try logging out and login to IceWM and run an xterm and
>start the pdf via CLI.

Didn't help.

Well I assume either the driver just isn't optimized as well as it
could be or something with the way linux handles it. I suppose a more
powerful graphics card would solve the problem, but I don't have the
option of spending money just to change the OS. I've learned a little
more about linux, but I really don't have the time to keep working on
a solution for this one...when I can just continue with XP without
further work. Thanks for all your assistance Malcolm!

Regards,
Ken