PDA

View Full Version : Wow...............just wow



Stevo
16-Sep-2014, 22:59
So we have centurylink (qwest) for our phone service and long distance.

Things have been fine for years, but they're slowly slipping.

In the last month, they've made a change to how long distance codes are
assigned / unassigned. Of course, they did this without informing
anyone of the change, so I've had between 15 - 20 code changes in the
last month that never got done.

It used to be I would send an email to a monitored address with our
long distance account number and the code changes I needed done. Took
less than five minutes for even several code changes.

Their new way of handling this is for me to make a phone call, having
to tell them the account number, code number, person's name and
department. Then wait 5 minutes on the phone for a confirmation number
that the change has been made.

Just did one this way a little bit ago, spent *20* @#%^in minutes on
the phone................sigh. Oh, this was also after spending around
an hour getting the runaround as far as what number to even call to
make these changes. First one disconnected me if I did not know the
person's 7 digit extension. Second one was for residential, not
business, and this guy had no idea what a long distance code even was.

The way people are abandoning them for different carriers, etc, you
think they'd make things easier to accomplish and not give so much of a
runaround........... just my two cents. I'll get off my high horse now.

--
Stevo

kgroneman
17-Sep-2014, 15:42
Hey Stevo:

> I'll get off my high horse now.

Don't fall. I think I'm thick in more ways than one. I'm not
understanding what "Code changes" you would need as a telephone
customer (??)

--
Kim - 9/17/2014 8:40:46 AM

Stevo
17-Sep-2014, 17:28
kgroneman sounds like they 'said':

> Don't fall. I think I'm thick in more ways than one. I'm not
> understanding what "Code changes" you would need as a telephone
> customer (??)

So my response to kgroneman's comment is...

When a new person starts here, we have to get a long distance code
activated and assigned to them. When a person leaves, their code must
be deactivated.

These type "code changes"......make sense?

--
Stevo

KeN Etter
17-Sep-2014, 18:10
On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 16:28:19 GMT, "Stevo" <steveSPAM@LESSccgov.net>
wrote:

>kgroneman sounds like they 'said':
>
>> Don't fall. I think I'm thick in more ways than one. I'm not
>> understanding what "Code changes" you would need as a telephone
>> customer (??)
>
>So my response to kgroneman's comment is...
>
>When a new person starts here, we have to get a long distance code
>activated and assigned to them. When a person leaves, their code must
>be deactivated.
>
>These type "code changes"......make sense?

That would be a pain. Back when we had long distance codes, our PBX
handled the codes automatically. Not sure how because I didn't set
that up. But under our current phone service, long distance is
included just like local calls. So we don't worry about codes
anymore. May be time to consider a different phone company.

Ken

Stevo
17-Sep-2014, 18:29
KeN Etter sounds like they 'said':

> That would be a pain. Back when we had long distance codes, our PBX
> handled the codes automatically. Not sure how because I didn't set
> that up. But under our current phone service, long distance is
> included just like local calls. So we don't worry about codes
> anymore. May be time to consider a different phone company.

So my response to KeN's comment is...

I mentioned to my boss about getting rid of the codes, don't think
that's an option. Other dept heads like getting the breakdown of who
in their dept is 'costing' how much in long distance.

--
Stevo

Jim Henderson
17-Sep-2014, 19:00
On Tue, 16 Sep 2014 21:59:20 +0000, Stevo wrote:

> So we have centurylink (qwest) for our phone service and long distance.
>
> Things have been fine for years, but they're slowly slipping.

I recently switched from Verizon to T-Mobile. Generally, I've been happy
with the service (OK, the service is *great*), but I had a weird
interaction with them a month after I opened the account.

We got two Galaxy S5 phones on an installment plan through CostCo. The
phones didn't actually show up on our bill (the EIP did, but we weren't
getting billed for it). Since I actually wanted to pay it off, I e-
mailed them for help.

They said "sure thing - just verify who you are by replying with your
social security number".

Um, not only no, but **** no.

"OK, well, we understand your concerns" (OK, so why did you even ask for
that? You do have customers who are not as smart as me and who don't
realize that e-mail is unencrypted and this is a great way to get your
identity stolen) "You don't have a PIN on your account, so you'll need to
call in to set up a PIN before we continue."

Well, OK, but if I call in to set up a PIN, then I presumably can get the
EIP problem fixed then too, right? Answer: Well, yes.

Except I don't want to call in, because I'm e-mailing so I can do other
things between answers. I don't want to be tied to the phone while you
sort out why you're not asking me to send you the full monthly amount I
should be paying on my bill.

Ultimately, I asked if I could go into their local store (we've got one
walking distance from the apartment) and get both set up, and they said
yes - but the charges started showing up on the bill, so I haven't
bothered to set up a PIN yet.

But how stupid is it that I want to be billed the proper amount on my
bill, and they need me to verify my identity before they make that
change? OK, maybe I shouldn't have contacted them to tell them about
their error, after all.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell/SUSE/NetIQ Knowledge Partner

Stevo
17-Sep-2014, 20:05
Jim Henderson sounds like they 'said':

> But how stupid is it that I want to be billed the proper amount on my
> bill, and they need me to verify my identity before they make that
> change? OK, maybe I shouldn't have contacted them to tell them about
> their error, after all.

So my response to Jim's comment is...

I might have tried that last option first. ;-)

Of course, then a few months later service gets turned off, or your
account goes to collection or some garbage like that.

World is going to **** quickly.

--
Stevo

Jim Henderson
17-Sep-2014, 22:23
On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 19:05:10 +0000, Stevo wrote:

> Jim Henderson sounds like they 'said':
>
>> But how stupid is it that I want to be billed the proper amount on my
>> bill, and they need me to verify my identity before they make that
>> change? OK, maybe I shouldn't have contacted them to tell them about
>> their error, after all.
>
> So my response to Jim's comment is...
>
> I might have tried that last option first. ;-)
>
> Of course, then a few months later service gets turned off, or your
> account goes to collection or some garbage like that.

That was my thought - that eventually someone would notice and they'd
bill me for back payments. I was really surprised they wanted to make it
that difficult to fix it, when I was saying 'hey, you're not billing me
enough'. Crazy.

But I'm extremely happy with the service. I occasionally go to Vancouver
for business meetings and training, and the data plan and text plan cover
Canada. With Verizon, you get a message (well, actually, with T-Mobile,
you do as well) when you cross the border, but Verizon will *soak* you
for international data. It worked out to something like $2000 per GB or
something ridiculous like that.

> World is going to **** quickly.

In some regards, it certainly is.

Jim



--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell/SUSE/NetIQ Knowledge Partner

kgroneman
17-Sep-2014, 22:28
Hey Stevo:

>These type "code changes"......make sense?

Got it. Makes sense.

--
Kim - 9/17/2014 3:28:18 PM

Stevo
17-Sep-2014, 23:38
Jim Henderson sounds like they 'said':

> It worked out to something like $2000 per GB or something ridiculous
> like that.

So my response to Jim's comment is...

$2000 / GB...............<blink> <blink>

--
Stevo

Jim Henderson
18-Sep-2014, 03:32
On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 22:38:49 +0000, Stevo wrote:

> Jim Henderson sounds like they 'said':
>
>> It worked out to something like $2000 per GB or something ridiculous
>> like that.
>
> So my response to Jim's comment is...
>
> $2000 / GB...............<blink> <blink>

Yeah, that was my reaction, too.

The show it as $2.05/MB on the text message you receive, so it doesn't
sound quite as bad.

Then you do the math....And scream "ouch!" (or worse)

Jim
--
Jim Henderson, CNA6, CDE, CNI, LPIC-1, CLA10, CLP10
Novell/SUSE/NetIQ Knowledge Partner

KeN Etter
18-Sep-2014, 13:39
On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 17:29:43 GMT, "Stevo" <steveSPAM@LESSccgov.net>
wrote:

>KeN Etter sounds like they 'said':
>
>> That would be a pain. Back when we had long distance codes, our PBX
>> handled the codes automatically. Not sure how because I didn't set
>> that up. But under our current phone service, long distance is
>> included just like local calls. So we don't worry about codes
>> anymore. May be time to consider a different phone company.
>
>So my response to KeN's comment is...
>
>I mentioned to my boss about getting rid of the codes, don't think
>that's an option. Other dept heads like getting the breakdown of who
>in their dept is 'costing' how much in long distance.

But if there is no charge for long distance calls, then there is no
cost to the dept...which is why your company should switch phone
providers to one that does not charge per minute for long distance
service.

Stevo
18-Sep-2014, 14:47
KeN Etter sounds like they 'said':

> But if there is no charge for long distance calls, then there is no
> cost to the dept...which is why your company should switch phone
> providers to one that does not charge per minute for long distance
> service.

So my response to KeN's comment is...

We are looking at replacing a couple PRIs at our bigger locations with
SIP trunks, we just don't feel comfortable enough yet with what all
will be involved, so we're going to get our WAN connections upgraded
first.

All the SIP providers here still have a charge for long distance, we
would just get X minutes per month and then 2 cents / minute over that
or something along those lines.

--
Stevo