PDA

View Full Version : SLED 12 NetworkManager VPN Configuration

cfajardo
14-Jun-2016, 21:54
Hi,

I have SLED 12 VM running on a VMware Workstation 12. I tried to setup VPN using NetworkManager to connect to our company's Fortigate, but everytime I run "nmcli c up id VPN_ID", I get an error message saying "Connection activation failed: unknown reason."

Any idea?

Thanks all

thsundel
15-Jun-2016, 08:27
Hi,

I have SLED 12 VM running on a VMware Workstation 12. I tried to setup VPN using NetworkManager to connect to our company's Fortigate, but everytime I run "nmcli c up id VPN_ID", I get an error message saying "Connection activation failed: unknown reason."

Any idea?

Thanks all

Spent a lot of time trying to get VPN connection to Fortigate on other distros, finally got it working with the Shrew Soft VPN Client, maybe worth looking into that client...

Thomas

cfajardo
15-Jun-2016, 14:38
Spent a lot of time trying to get VPN connection to Fortigate on other distros, finally got it working with the Shrew Soft VPN Client, maybe worth looking into that client...

Thomas

Are you connecting using SSL or IPSec?

thsundel
15-Jun-2016, 15:51
Are you connecting using SSL or IPSec?

IPSec.

Thomas

cfajardo
15-Jun-2016, 20:27
IPSec.

Thomas

Won't you mind sharing how did you configure it?

Thanks,

thsundel
16-Jun-2016, 07:56
Won't you mind sharing how did you configure it?

Thanks,

So you got it installed and running? Then it all depends on your setup... but what I needed to do was to give the address of the Fortigate, enter the KeyID string, the preshared key and the username and password.

Thomas

cfajardo
17-Jun-2016, 20:14
So you got it installed and running? Then it all depends on your setup... but what I needed to do was to give the address of the Fortigate, enter the KeyID string, the preshared key and the username and password.

Thomas

Still struggling to get it working. I got this error message

"negotiation timeout occurred
Tunnel disabled
detached from key daemon
"

Any idea why?

Thanks

thsundel
20-Jun-2016, 08:04
Still struggling to get it working. I got this error message

"negotiation timeout occurred
Tunnel disabled
detached from key daemon
"

Any idea why?

Thanks

No idea, but I forgot a couple of other settings, auth method to Mutual PSK + XAuth and remote identity to any...

Thomas

cfajardo
28-Jun-2016, 18:45
No idea, but I forgot a couple of other settings, auth method to Mutual PSK + XAuth and remote identity to any...

Thomas

Finally I got it working...