PDA

View Full Version : SLES 11 SP3 Missing Repositories



zexec4
15-Oct-2016, 05:28
I have a SLES11SP3 server which I was able to upgrade to SP4.

Now I want to do the same on each of the 3 XEN VMs that are hosted on this box, but when I try to do updates via Yast it wants to see the initial repositories on the DVD used to install SLES in the first place. The running XEN VM can't see the Optical drive, and elsewhere I read that one might "just delete the repo that references the (USB) drive". I will readily admit that my knowledge of Linux is limited...

Can someone advise what is the correct approach to update the XEN VMs (the first also has OES11SP2 that needs to be updated). Is there a way that I should make the Optical drive accessible to the VM; or where is the repo that I should delete if that's the correct course of action?

Thanks in anticipation

Jerome

ab
15-Oct-2016, 14:50
I do not know the best way to do any of this, but if you need original
media for some reason then copy the ISO to the VM, or make it available to
the VM via NFS (better), and then mount it or point to it directly from
Yast a s a new repository. If nothing else, this may be a workaround to
your current issue, ignoring the bigger issue of "Why do you need that repo?"

--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...

jmozdzen
17-Oct-2016, 12:14
Hi Jerome,


I have a SLES11SP3 server which I was able to upgrade to SP4.

Now I want to do the same on each of the 3 XEN VMs that are hosted on this box, but when I try to do updates via Yast it wants to see the initial repositories on the DVD used to install SLES in the first place. The running XEN VM can't see the Optical drive, and elsewhere I read that one might "just delete the repo that references the (USB) drive". I will readily admit that my knowledge of Linux is limited...

Can someone advise what is the correct approach to update the XEN VMs (the first also has OES11SP2 that needs to be updated). Is there a way that I should make the Optical drive accessible to the VM; or where is the repo that I should delete if that's the correct course of action?

Thanks in anticipation

Jerome

how about doing an online update, following the procedures from https://www.suse.com/documentation/sles11/book_sle_deployment/data/sec_update_sle11sp3.html?

Please note that updating OES is a different story (which I cannot tell, I have close to no OES experience). I've seen some pieces of documentation (https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/inst_oes_lx/data/b11mrzf5.html) that describe online update steps for OES11SP2 to SP3.

Regards,
J

smflood
18-Oct-2016, 12:31
On 17/10/16 12:24, jmozdzen wrote:

> Please note that updating OES is a different story (which I cannot tell,
> I have close to no OES experience). I've seen some pieces of
> documentation
> (https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/inst_oes_lx/data/b11mrzf5.html)
> that describe online update steps for OES11SP2 to SP3.

The key thing when updating OES servers is to update both SLES _and_ OES
_at the same time_ otherwise you'll break things.

For assistance with updating OES please post in the Micro Focus OES
Install/Update forum @
https://forums.novell.com/forumdisplay.php/431-OES-L-Install

HTH.
--
Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

zexec4
12-Nov-2016, 05:41
I apologize for the delay in responding to this, but I don't think I've explained the situation very well. The suggestion / link to try the online update appears to myself to not relate to a virtualized server, but toa physical server.

My whole problem is that I do not know how to allow my virtual servers to access the optical drive of the host machine, which held the original DVD that I installed the OS from. Once the VM is up and running, it can no longer access the DVD drive. How do I get around this? The same applies to an external USB disk I might plug into the physical host.

While I can download updates and service packs direct to the VMs from the Internet, every update I try to undertake wants to access the repository on the original DVD, and that's where I'm falling over.

Jerome

zexec4
12-Nov-2016, 05:43
I should have responded to this first: how do I make the original media available via NFS?

Thanks
Jerome

ab
13-Nov-2016, 05:41
1. Put the ISO on the host somewhere.
2. Mount the ISO to a directory somewhere, like /exports/sles11sp3
3. Use Yast: Network Service: NFS Server to setup configure the directory
above to be available via NFS to clients.
4. Use Yast on the guest(s) to add a repository that looks like the
following, using the right IP address for the host:

nfs://192.168.1.1/exports/sles11sp3

--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...

zexec4
13-Nov-2016, 07:24
Thanks ab,

I will have a go at that if my current efforts (where I've got the ISO on a USB disk connected to a router and where the USB disk is showing as 'usb disk on <router>'. Right now at least it's enabled me to select and download a heap of updates) don't succeed.

Cheers

smflood
14-Nov-2016, 17:46
On 12/11/16 04:44, zexec4 wrote:

> I apologize for the delay in responding to this, but I don't think I've
> explained the situation very well. The suggestion / link to try the
> online update appears to myself to not relate to a virtualized server,
> but toa physical server.
>
> My whole problem is that I do not know how to allow my virtual servers
> to access the optical drive of the host machine, which held the original
> DVD that I installed the OS from. Once the VM is up and running, it can
> no longer access the DVD drive. How do I get around this? The same
> applies to an external USB disk I might plug into the physical host.
>
> While I can download updates and service packs direct to the VMs from
> the Internet, every update I try to undertake wants to access the
> repository on the original DVD, and that's where I'm falling over.

It sounds like you still have the repo associated with the host optical
drive (for the original DVD) enabled.

What does "zypper lr -u" within a VM report?

HTH.
--
Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

zexec4
15-Nov-2016, 00:29
While I seem to have some success with two of the VMs, I am receiving warning messages about proceeding on the third one. These warnings occur (I think) because the ISO used originally was SLES11SP3 with OESSP1, and I have only registered OES on one of these VMs since the other two don't need OES , and only require SLES.

Anyway to answer your question, this is what I get on the VM that I'd still like to upgrade to SLES11SP4:

# | Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | URI
---+--------------------------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+---------+---------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 | SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Server-11-SP3 11.3.3-1.138 | SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Server-11-SP3 11.3.3-1.138 | Yes | Yes | hd:///?device=/dev/xvdb&filesystem=auto
2 | hd-ea3e5934 | hd-ea3e5934 | Yes | Yes | hd:///%2Foes?device=/dev/xvdb&filesystem=auto
3 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-Public-Cloud-Module | SLE11-Public-Cloud-Module | No | Yes | https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLE11-Public-Cloud-Module/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
4 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP1-Debuginfo-Pool | SLE11-SP1-Debuginfo-Pool | No | Yes | https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLE11-SP1-Debuginfo-Pool/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
5 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP1-Debuginfo-Updates | SLE11-SP1-Debuginfo-Updates | No | Yes | https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLE11-SP1-Debuginfo-Updates/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
6 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP2-Debuginfo-Core | SLE11-SP2-Debuginfo-Core | No | Yes | https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLE11-SP2-Debuginfo-Core/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
7 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP2-Debuginfo-Updates | SLE11-SP2-Debuginfo-Updates | No | Yes | https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLE11-SP2-Debuginfo-Updates/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
8 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP3-Debuginfo-Pool | SLE11-SP3-Debuginfo-Pool | No | Yes | https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLE11-SP3-Debuginfo-Pool/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
9 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP3-Debuginfo-Updates | SLE11-SP3-Debuginfo-Updates | No | Yes | https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLE11-SP3-Debuginfo-Updates/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
10 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP4-Debuginfo-Pool | SLE11-SP4-Debuginfo-Pool | No | Yes | https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLE11-SP4-Debuginfo-Pool/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
11 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP4-Debuginfo-Updates | SLE11-SP4-Debuginfo-Updates | No | Yes | https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLE11-SP4-Debuginfo-Updates/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
12 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-Security-Module | SLE11-Security-Module | No | Yes | https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLE11-Security-Module/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
13 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-Extras | SLES11-Extras | No | Yes | https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLES11-Extras/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
14 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP1-Pool | SLES11-SP1-Pool | No | Yes | https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLES11-SP1-Pool/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
15 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP1-Updates | SLES11-SP1-Updates | No | Yes | https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLES11-SP1-Updates/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
16 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP2-Core | SLES11-SP2-Core | No | Yes | https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLES11-SP2-Core/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
17 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP2-Extension-Store | SLES11-SP2-Extension-Store | No | Yes | https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLES11-SP2-Extension-Store/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
18 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP2-Updates | SLES11-SP2-Updates | No | Yes | https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLES11-SP2-Updates/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
19 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP3-Extension-Store | SLES11-SP3-Extension-Store | No | Yes | https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLES11-SP3-Extension-Store/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
20 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP3-Pool | SLES11-SP3-Pool | No | Yes | https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLES11-SP3-Pool/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
21 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP3-Updates | SLES11-SP3-Updates | No | Yes | https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLES11-SP3-Updates/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
22 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP4-Pool | SLES11-SP4-Pool | Yes | Yes | https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLES11-SP4-Pool/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
23 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP4-Updates | SLES11-SP4-Updates | Yes | Yes | https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLES11-SP4-Updates/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials

I can't make much sense of that other than that it seems to be repetitive, and is perhaps saying certain components are registered and others are not.

As I don't want OES on this VM, am I safe to ignore the warnings, accept warnings about removing OES and proceed with the update to SLES SP4?

Thanks for your interest.
Jerome

smflood
15-Nov-2016, 11:18
On 14/11/16 23:34, zexec4 wrote:

> While I seem to have some success with two of the VMs, I am receiving
> warning messages about proceeding on the third one. These warnings occur
> (I think) because the ISO used originally was SLES11SP3 with OESSP1, and
> I have only registered OES on one of these VMs since the other two don't
> need OES , and only require SLES.

Hopefully that "OESSP1" is a typo and you meant SP2 - I'm also hoping
you mean OES11 and not an earlier version of OES.

> Anyway to answer your question, this is what I get on the VM that I'd
> still like to upgrade to SLES11SP4:
>
> # | Alias | Name
> | Enabled | Refresh | URI
>
>
> ---+--------------------------------------------------+--------------------------------------------------+---------+---------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 1 | SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Server-11-SP3 11.3.3-1.138 |
> SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Server-11-SP3 11.3.3-1.138 | Yes | Yes |
> hd:///?device=/dev/xvdb&filesystem=auto
>
> 2 | hd-ea3e5934 | hd-ea3e5934
> | Yes | Yes |
> hd:///%2Foes?device=/dev/xvdb&filesystem=auto

You can safely disable the above two via "zypper mr -d 1 2" as these
relate to the media and not online repos.

> 3 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-Public-Cloud-Module |
> SLE11-Public-Cloud-Module | No | Yes |
> https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLE11-Public-Cloud-Module/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
>
> 4 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP1-Debuginfo-Pool |
> SLE11-SP1-Debuginfo-Pool | No | Yes |
> https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLE11-SP1-Debuginfo-Pool/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
>
> 5 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP1-Debuginfo-Updates |
> SLE11-SP1-Debuginfo-Updates | No | Yes |
> https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLE11-SP1-Debuginfo-Updates/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
> 6 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP2-Debuginfo-Core |
> SLE11-SP2-Debuginfo-Core | No | Yes |
> https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLE11-SP2-Debuginfo-Core/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
>
> 7 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP2-Debuginfo-Updates |
> SLE11-SP2-Debuginfo-Updates | No | Yes |
> https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLE11-SP2-Debuginfo-Updates/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
> 8 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP3-Debuginfo-Pool |
> SLE11-SP3-Debuginfo-Pool | No | Yes |
> https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLE11-SP3-Debuginfo-Pool/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
>
> 9 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP3-Debuginfo-Updates |
> SLE11-SP3-Debuginfo-Updates | No | Yes |
> https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLE11-SP3-Debuginfo-Updates/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
> 10 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP4-Debuginfo-Pool |
> SLE11-SP4-Debuginfo-Pool | No | Yes |
> https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLE11-SP4-Debuginfo-Pool/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
>
> 11 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-SP4-Debuginfo-Updates |
> SLE11-SP4-Debuginfo-Updates | No | Yes |
> https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLE11-SP4-Debuginfo-Updates/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
> 12 | nu_novell_com:SLE11-Security-Module |
> SLE11-Security-Module | No | Yes |
> https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLE11-Security-Module/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
>
> 13 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-Extras | SLES11-Extras
> | No | Yes |
> https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLES11-Extras/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
>
> 14 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP1-Pool | SLES11-SP1-Pool
> | No | Yes |
> https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLES11-SP1-Pool/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
>
> 15 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP1-Updates |
> SLES11-SP1-Updates | No | Yes |
> https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLES11-SP1-Updates/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
>
> 16 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP2-Core | SLES11-SP2-Core
> | No | Yes |
> https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLES11-SP2-Core/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
>
> 17 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP2-Extension-Store |
> SLES11-SP2-Extension-Store | No | Yes |
> https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLES11-SP2-Extension-Store/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
>
> 18 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP2-Updates |
> SLES11-SP2-Updates | No | Yes |
> https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLES11-SP2-Updates/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
>
> 19 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP3-Extension-Store |
> SLES11-SP3-Extension-Store | No | Yes |
> https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLES11-SP3-Extension-Store/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
>
> 20 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP3-Pool | SLES11-SP3-Pool
> | No | Yes |
> https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLES11-SP3-Pool/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
>
> 21 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP3-Updates |
> SLES11-SP3-Updates | No | Yes |
> https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLES11-SP3-Updates/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials

If the server is SLES11 SP3 (with or without OES11 SPx) then you can
safely remove all the SLES11 SP1 and SP2 repos which will reduce your
zypper lr output!

> 22 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP4-Pool | SLES11-SP4-Pool
> | Yes | Yes |
> https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLES11-SP4-Pool/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials
>
> 23 | nu_novell_com:SLES11-SP4-Updates |
> SLES11-SP4-Updates | Yes | Yes |
> https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLES11-SP4-Updates/sle-11-x86_64?credentials=NCCcredentials

If you haven't yet upgraded your server to SLES11 SP4 you should not
have these repos added or enabled.

> I can't make much sense of that other than that it seems to be
> repetitive, and is perhaps saying certain components are registered and
> others are not.
>
> As I don't want OES on this VM, am I safe to ignore the warnings, accept
> warnings about removing OES and proceed with the update to SLES SP4?

Ignoring whether you still want OES on this VM does it currently have
OES? If so, you can't simply elect to not upgrade it but will first have
to remove the server from your eDirectory and then remove the OES
components. Then you can upgrade the underlying SLES11 SP3 to SLES11 SP4.

HTH.
--
Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

zexec4
15-Nov-2016, 12:07
Hello Simon,
I will try to respond to your comments one at a time...
Yes, it was a typo and I know that OES is supposed to be one SP behind SLES. It should have been SLES11SP3 and OES11S2.
>You can safely disable the above two via "zypper mr -d 1 2" as these relate to the media and not online repos.

Great have done that successfully.

>If the server is SLES11 SP3 (with or without OES11 SPx) then you can safely remove all the SLES11 SP1 and SP2 repos which will reduce your
>zypper lr output!

That's good to know.
>If you haven't yet upgraded your server to SLES11 SP4 you should not have these repos added or enabled.

Right, well I've not yet upgraded THIS VM to PS4 due to warnings I was getting.

> As I don't want OES on this VM, am I safe to ignore the warnings, accept
> warnings about removing OES and proceed with the update to SLES SP4?

>Ignoring whether you still want OES on this VM does it currently have OES? If so, you can't simply elect to not upgrade it but will first have
>to remove the server from your eDirectory and then remove the OES components. Then you can upgrade the underlying SLES11 SP3 to SLES11 SP4.

I've had a look at my eDirectory, and the ONLY server it shows (as I expected) is my OES VM (named "vm1-oes"). The other two VMs are purely for Groupwise (vm2-gwise) and Groupwise mobility service (vm3-gms) respectively: neither of these are in eDirectory, and neither of them needs OES. EVEN THOUGH both were installed using the same SLES11SP3/OES11SP2 DVD.

So if I read your advice correctly, I should remove the OES components on these two VMs. I guess it's not possible to do this by simply removing the OES repositories, so what would be the steps to do this? Perhaps I need to take this to an OES forum?

Thanks for your help already.

Jerome