PDA

View Full Version : <taps>



asd23
21-Jun-2017, 18:54
Sad times here, for me anyway. Our migration from Groupwise to office
365 email is done.

In the next few days, our eDirectory tree, which has been in production
for over 20 years, will be no more........... :-(

--
Steve

AndersG
22-Jun-2017, 10:50
You have my condoleances...

--
Anders Gustafsson (NKP)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Have an idea for a product enhancement? Please visit:
https://www.novell.com/products/enhancement-request.html

asd23
22-Jun-2017, 14:41
Anders Gustafsson sounds like they 'said':

> You have my condoleances...

So my response to Anders's comment is...

Thanks. Only positive is if a user can't get to email, but can get on
the web, I get to say "I can't help you, call micro$oft"

--
Steve

Black, Douglas
22-Jun-2017, 14:46
asd23,

> Sad times here, for me anyway. Our migration from Groupwise to office
> 365 email is done.
>
> In the next few days, our eDirectory tree, which has been in production
> for over 20 years, will be no more........... :-(
>

:(

asd23
22-Jun-2017, 15:54
Black, Douglas sounds like they 'said':

> :(

So my response to Black's comment is...

Yeah, I'm quite bummed about the whole thing.

--
Steve

Black, Douglas
22-Jun-2017, 18:31
asd23,

>> :(
>
> So my response to Black's comment is...
>
> Yeah, I'm quite bummed about the whole thing.
>

I'm lucky -- since we use IDM here, I still get to administer eDirectory
on our vault servers. It's a tiny part of my job, though. Everything
else has gone to the dark side.

asd23
22-Jun-2017, 19:05
Black, Douglas sounds like they 'said':

> I'm lucky -- since we use IDM here, I still get to administer
> eDirectory on our vault servers. It's a tiny part of my job, though.
> Everything else has gone to the dark side.

So my response to Black's comment is...

The email portion was the last bit holding on here, and it was decided
(by 3 people, not TPTB or anything) that we should move to this cloud
based email.... <spit>

--
Steve

Susan
26-Jun-2017, 17:27
Oh, how sad! :(

--
Susan
Micro Focus Community Chat Moderator

Please read the following before posting in here:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/27zopdy



---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com

asd23
26-Jun-2017, 18:03
Susan sounds like they 'said':

> Oh, how sad! :(

So my response to Susan's comment is...

I know. I shut the last 2 sles boxes down friday afternoong, haven't
had the heart to delete them yet. :'-(

--
Steve

Susan
27-Jun-2017, 18:05
When you do delete them, after you do it, take yourself out for a
nice lunch or dinner. You fought the good fight for as long as you
could.

--
Susan
Micro Focus Community Chat Moderator

Please read the following before posting in here:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/27zopdy



---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com

asd23
27-Jun-2017, 18:08
Susan sounds like they 'said':

> When you do delete them, after you do it, take yourself out for a
> nice lunch or dinner. You fought the good fight for as long as you
> could.

So my response to Susan's comment is...

I will, thanks. We had an after work get together to commemerate the
email migration getting finished. It was almost like a wake for me,
felt like 'celebrating' an employee being let go after over 20 years of
service.

--
Steve

Susan
27-Jun-2017, 23:17
I know. You're not the only one who has gone through that situation
and those feelings, sadly.

--
Susan
Micro Focus Community Chat Moderator

Please read the following before posting in here:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/27zopdy



---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com

asd23
27-Jun-2017, 23:42
Susan sounds like they 'said':

> I know. You're not the only one who has gone through that situation
> and those feelings, sadly.

So my response to Susan's comment is...

"But we're saving money".....

--
Steve

Black, Douglas
28-Jun-2017, 19:16
asd23,

>> When you do delete them, after you do it, take yourself out for a
>> nice lunch or dinner. You fought the good fight for as long as you
>> could.
>
> So my response to Susan's comment is...
>
> I will, thanks. We had an after work get together to commemerate the
> email migration getting finished. It was almost like a wake for me,
> felt like 'celebrating' an employee being let go after over 20 years of
> service.
>

I felt the same way when I retired our last NetWare server. It had been
up continuously for 1967 days, or not quite 5.5 years.

asd23
28-Jun-2017, 20:48
Black, Douglas sounds like they 'said':

> I felt the same way when I retired our last NetWare server. It had
> been up continuously for 1967 days, or not quite 5.5 years.

So my response to Black's comment is...

I felt bad when retiring *our* last Netware server too, didn't have
anywhere near your uptime though.

We were on OES linux for several years after Netware.

--
Steve

ScorpionSting
28-Jun-2017, 22:54
The good old days:

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/intel-server-uptime.jpg


--
-"Also now available in 'G+'
(http://plus.google.com/+BenWalter-Kiwi) and 'Website'
(https://www.isam.kiwi/) format".- ;)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ScorpionSting's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=1663
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=504195

asd23
28-Jun-2017, 23:22
ScorpionSting sounds like they 'said':

>
> The good old days:
>
>
https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/intel-server-uptime.jpg

So my response to ScorpionSting's comment is...

Over 16.5 years...........nice!!

--
Steve

kgroneman
29-Jun-2017, 17:28
I remember seeing that one before. Sweet!

How do you think NetWare was essentially put out to pasture? My initial
thoughs were that it was so rock solid that people didn't upgrade. They were
satisfied with what they had. Novell business selling NetWare was declining.
But then why weren't we selling more NetWare to new customers if it was so
good? Even now we have more OES Linux customers than OES NetWare customers.

--
Kim - 6/29/2017 10:22:45 AM

Black, Douglas
29-Jun-2017, 20:17
kgroneman,

> I remember seeing that one before. Sweet!
>
> How do you think NetWare was essentially put out to pasture? My initial
> thoughs were that it was so rock solid that people didn't upgrade. They were
> satisfied with what they had. Novell business selling NetWare was declining.
> But then why weren't we selling more NetWare to new customers if it was so
> good? Even now we have more OES Linux customers than OES NetWare customers.
>

My guess is that it was tough to market such a specialized OS. NetWare
did file & print serving better than anything else out there, but it
didn't do much else. Windows does file & print (it inhales vigorously
for those services, but it does do them), and it runs all the other apps
businesses need.


Just my $0.02

Massimo Rosen
30-Jun-2017, 11:36
Am 29.06.2017 um 21:17 schrieb Black, Douglas:
> kgroneman,
>
> My guess is that it was tough to market such a specialized OS. NetWare
> did file & print serving better than anything else out there, but it
> didn't do much else. Windows does file & print (it inhales vigorously
> for those services, but it does do them), and it runs all the other apps
> businesses need.
>
>
> Just my $0.02

Netware didn't only do File & Print. It also ran email, Firewalls, was a
brilliant routing engine, Internet Proxy, and ran the by far most rock
solid scalable and feature rich directory of all times. And last but not
least, it's manageability and ease of use was and still is completely
unmatched.

So that's not it. Quite the opposite. Novell singlehandedly destroyed it
themselfs by trying to make it *also* be an application server for
anything else, doing so halfheartedly and using the wrong tools. Java on
Netware anyone? While at the same time letting all the things it did so
much better than anything else on the market get stale and also
eventually instable.

And then they made several really big mistakes in the transistion to OES
Linux, most of all that they replaced absolutely perfect services on
Netware (SLP, CIFS, DHCP and some more) with their open source
counterparts on linux, which turned out to be infintely worse both in
terms of features, standards, stability and scalability.

Then, they made many of their own core services dependant on notoriously
instable and timebombed by design (certificates, anyone?) ldap service
instead of NCP, singlehandedly destroying one of the biggest pros of
eDirectory in one swing. Compared to NCP, ldap is a bad featurelss joke
of a protocol, their insistance to use it everywher ewithout any valid
reason is beyond words.

And with OES Linux they also mostly destroyed one of the biggest pros of
Netware: It's almost complete independence of local configuration. With
Linux (like with windows), basically everything is server centric, and
replacing one is a nightmare, whereas Netware for the most part was
local server agnostic, and disaster recovery or just migration to new
hardware was as easy as it possibly could be.

Over time they corrected a few of those mistakes, but too little, too late.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de

Susan
30-Jun-2017, 15:07
No, they're not. We both know that. :)

--
Susan
Micro Focus Community Chat Moderator

Please read the following before posting in here:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/27zopdy



---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com

asd23
03-Jul-2017, 18:13
Well........sniff........they're gone, along with our edir tree... :-(


--
Steve

Susan
11-Jul-2017, 17:21
My sincerest condolences.

--
Susan
Micro Focus Community Chat Moderator

Please read the following before posting in here:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/27zopdy



---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com

asd23
11-Jul-2017, 18:30
Susan sounds like they 'said':

> My sincerest condolences.

So my response to Susan's comment is...

Thanks

--
Steve

Ritanicagards
13-Jul-2017, 18:24
Whew, 20 years is quite some time, and a lot of eMemories :D


--
Ritanicagards
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ritanicagards's Profile: https://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=169343
View this thread: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=504195