Hi islem,

Quote Originally Posted by islem View Post
Hi,

Well I tried to uncheck assigning the hostname to localhost, but I got ping linux-dnff to fail. So, I checked it again.

My local host is conncted to the server, using DNS
unless you haven't changed your configuration, I wouldn't fully agree:

and the configurations of my DNS settings are
### Please remove (at least) this line when you modify the file!
search jmu.ac.uk enr.jmu.ac.uk ac.uk uk
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 150.204.20.14
You've especially set up your system to look for a *DNS SERVER* on your local machine first. And if that one's not running, your host will contact 150.204.20.14 - is there a DNS service running on that remote machine? Have you or has anybody else entered the required data (forward and reverse resolution) into that DNS entity?

How do I setup a non-dynamically-generated-looking hostname ? jm74690 is the name of computer and 150.204.20.26 is the public ip address of the computer. What is the problem of having linux-dnff as the host name. It is not causing any problem so far.
You'll probably have to take a closer look, you seem to be mixing things:

- you can configure any host name you like, on the machine

- name resolution (getting a machine's IP by specifying a name, or getting a machine's name when you only have its IP) is an independent issue. For purely local lookups, you can edit /etc/hosts to include the according information (IP and one or more names), but when using this on more machines, you'd typically enter that data into the DNS. Which is done by the administrator running the DNS service, not by you on your local machine.

Earlier on you noticed that despite your entries in /etc/hosts, the "host" command would not allow you to resolve your system name to an IP address - this is because "host" is a DNS client (see "man host").

Regards,
J