I have recently install SLES11 on a Dell server behind a Netgear DGND3300v2 modem/router.

Problem: ADSL drops when server is configured with static IP, which I require for eDirectory (OES).

ROUTER STATUS (static ip address and dns loaded with settings from ISP, dhcp active restricted to .200-.254)

ADSL=
IP Address 165.228.32.242
Network Type PPPoE
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.255
Gateway IP Address
165.228.3.1
Domain Name Server
139.130.4.4
203.50.2.71

LAN=
IP Address 192.168.0.1
DHCP On
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

linux-qbk1:/home/simon/Desktop # ifconfig

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr D0:67:E5:E5:28:93
inet addr:192.168.0.10 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::d267:e5ff:fee5:2893/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:86 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:5652 (5.5 Kb)
Interrupt:16

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:953 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:953 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:80792 (78.8 Kb) TX bytes:80792 (78.8 Kb)



linux-qbk1:/home/simon/Desktop # dhcpcd-test eth0

info, eth0: hardware address = d0:67:e5:e5:28:93
info, eth0: broadcasting for a lease
debug, eth0: sending DHCP_DISCOVER with xid 0x8354241
debug, eth0: waiting for 10 seconds
debug, eth0: got a packet with xid 0x8354241
info, eth0: offered 192.168.1.101 from 192.168.1.1
IPADDR='192.168.1.101'
NETMASK='255.255.255.0'
NETWORK='192.168.1.0'
BROADCAST='192.168.1.255'
ROUTES=''
GATEWAYS='192.168.1.1'
DNSDOMAIN='netgear.com'
DNSSERVERS='192.168.1.1'
DHCPSID='192.168.1.1'
LEASETIME='86400'
RENEWALTIME='43200'
REBINDTIME='75600'
INTERFACE='eth0'
CLASSID='dhcpcd 3.2.3'
CLIENTID='01:d0:67:e5:e5:28:93'
DHCPCHADDR='d0:67:e5:e5:28:93'
info, eth0: exiting
linux-qbk1:/home/simon/Desktop #

***********

I do not understand this output. It seems to be saying that my server network card is configured on subnet 192.168.1. My default gateway is 192.168.0.1 which is a different subnet and may explain why there is no adsl but not why this is happening at all.

I tried configuring the router to a different subnet... ie 192.168.1.0 and changing the the server static to 192.168.1.10. Stll no joy.

Another variation was to to try PPPoE vs PPPoA on the router side of things. No joy.

I tried bridging the router (modem only).... but of course lost ADSL to wireless devices.

Thank you for yor help

Simon