Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: SLED 12 & GNOME 3 Destkop Environment

  1. #1

    SLED 12 & GNOME 3 Destkop Environment

    I just learned from another thread that SLED 12 will be using Gnome 3 as the default DE. Is it too late for input to the SUSE devs? Does anybody else feel that Gnome 3 is NOT ready for a production environment (e.g., no ability to lock the screen manually, one must wait for the screen to *maybe* blank to lock)?

    The Gnome 3 experience I've had with openSUSE has been horrific: buggy, more steps to complete an action, etc. My wife wishes she could have a setup like my Gnome 2, so I was going to purchase a SLED license for her, as well; however, going to Gnome 3 would not work as we would be where we are currently with openSUSE.

  2. Re: SLED 12 & GNOME 3 Destkop Environment

    On Tue 08 Jul 2014 03:44:01 AM CDT, susecmail wrote:


    I just learned from another thread that SLED 12 will be using Gnome 3 as
    the default DE. Is it too late for input to the SUSE devs? Does
    anybody else feel that Gnome 3 is NOT ready for a production environment
    (e.g., no ability to lock the screen manually, one must wait for the
    screen to *maybe* blank to lock)?

    The Gnome 3 experience I've had with openSUSE has been horrific: buggy,
    more steps to complete an action, etc. My wife wishes she could have a
    setup like my Gnome 2, so I was going to purchase a SLED license for
    her, as well; however, going to Gnome 3 would not work as we would be
    where we are currently with openSUSE.
    Hi
    Have no issues to lock the screen manually in GNOME 3, press the menu,
    the middle button with the padlock will lock the screen.

    There is probably an extension that can be added to pop a button on the
    top panel (must admit I've never looked...).

    Again, no issues with normal day to day running with GNOME 3, if your
    having specific issues, then post in the openSUSE forums with your
    issue(s) or open a bug report.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 13.1 (Bottle) (x86_64) GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.11.10-17-desktop
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Volgograd, Russia
    Posts
    44

    Re: SLED 12 & GNOME 3 Destkop Environment

    08.07.2014 7:44, susecmail wrote:
    >
    > I just learned from another thread that SLED 12 will be using Gnome 3 as
    > the default DE. Is it too late for input to the SUSE devs? Does
    > anybody else feel that Gnome 3 is NOT ready for a production environment
    > (e.g., no ability to lock the screen manually, one must wait for the
    > screen to *maybe* blank to lock)?
    >

    I am satisfied with openSUSE GNOME 3 on my home desktop and welcome it
    on SLED12 for my HP ProBook!


  4. #4

    Re: SLED 12 & GNOME 3 Destkop Environment

    Is it too late for input to the SUSE devs?
    Given the amount if work that's been done on SLED 12 there is zero chance they're going to change the default DE now.

    Does anybody else feel that Gnome 3 is NOT ready for a production environment (e.g., no ability to lock the screen manually, one must wait for the screen to *maybe* blank to lock)?
    I'm sure someone else does, there's always someone
    I have never had any problems manually locking the screen with GNOME 3 in openSUSE or in the SLED 12 Beta.

    The Gnome 3 experience I've had with openSUSE has been horrific: buggy, more steps to complete an action, etc. My wife wishes she could have a setup like my Gnome 2, so I was going to purchase a SLED license for her, as well; however, going to Gnome 3 would not work as we would be where we are currently with openSUSE.
    Try GNOME Classic. It's not included in openSUSE by default but you can get it by installing the gnome-classic package. Unfortunately finding information on GNOME Classic is not as easy as it could be because the term 'GNOME Classic' has been used for different things at different times in different distros and if it's explained on the GNOME website I can't just find it, but skip to 'Reinvented Classic Mode' at
    https://news.opensuse.org/2013/10/29...r-gnome-users/

    I feel GNOME Classic is the good things about GNOME 3 but without the potentially bafflingly frustrating experience of logging in for the first time and seeing nothing that is in any way familiar so you have no clue what to do if you haven't read up on it in advance. RedHat have shipped with GNOME Classic as the default and I think that was a very sensible decision. I can't tell you exactly what the default SLED 12 GNOME experience will be like but if you find you like GNOME Classic, I do encourage you to grab a copy of SLED 12 as soon as it's released, it's free to download after all, and check it out
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface, please show your appreciation and click on the star below... thanks!

  5. #5

    Re: SLED 12 & GNOME 3 Destkop Environment

    Quote Originally Posted by mikewillis View Post
    Given the amount if work that's been done on SLED 12 there is zero chance they're going to change the default DE now.


    I'm sure someone else does, there's always someone
    I have never had any problems manually locking the screen with GNOME 3 in openSUSE or in the SLED 12 Beta.


    Try GNOME Classic. It's not included in openSUSE by default but you can get it by installing the gnome-classic package. Unfortunately finding information on GNOME Classic is not as easy as it could be because the term 'GNOME Classic' has been used for different things at different times in different distros and if it's explained on the GNOME website I can't just find it, but skip to 'Reinvented Classic Mode' at
    https://news.opensuse.org/2013/10/29...r-gnome-users/

    I feel GNOME Classic is the good things about GNOME 3 but without the potentially bafflingly frustrating experience of logging in for the first time and seeing nothing that is in any way familiar so you have no clue what to do if you haven't read up on it in advance. RedHat have shipped with GNOME Classic as the default and I think that was a very sensible decision. I can't tell you exactly what the default SLED 12 GNOME experience will be like but if you find you like GNOME Classic, I do encourage you to grab a copy of SLED 12 as soon as it's released, it's free to download after all, and check it out
    I have installed 5 different instances of openSUSE 13.1 and none of them have the ability to manually lock the screen; 3 of them do not lock the screens when they blank, I had to manually run gnome-screensaver-command and then gnome-screensaver to lock it when it blanks. I should NOT have to install a 3rd party addon to get basic security functionality from my desktop. Adding things through shell extensions have proven unreliable as they are not guaranteed to work with the next update: for example, I had a lock extension installed that worked to lock the screen one week then, after an update, it never worked again, no matter how many times I installed it. This happened on 2 of the 5 systems, the other 3 I didn't try as they weren't there in front of me.

    Some people like Gnome 3, I and my family are among those who do not. I have been working with Linux since 1996 and have never hated the desktop experience until Gnome 3. I have written extensively to the developers to address its many shortcomings, much which have been written about by more knowledgeable people than myself and they told me: "We decide what we want and if you want to have input, give us feedback." I thought I was... and none of my "feedback" has ever been answered or addressed.

    This is NOT commercial level support; nor do I have a tablet or touch screen interface; according to the developer with whom I spoke, they will continue to "simplify: the desktop user experience. Unfortunately, I will now have to find a different distro that uses Mint or Cinnamon; XFCE/LXDE lock up at odd instances; KDE 4 is a worse mess than Gnome and Gnome 3 is not an option; however, for what I recommend to businesses I am really at a loss. Nobody wants Windows 8; I cannot recommend anything with Gnome 3 or KDE, and Mac OS X (with its hardware) is too expensive for a lot of small businesses.


  6. #6

    Re: SLED 12 & GNOME 3 Destkop Environment

    Quote Originally Posted by susecmail View Post
    I have installed 5 different instances of openSUSE 13.1 and none of them have the ability to manually lock the screen; 3 of them do not lock the screens when they blank, I had to manually run gnome-screensaver-command and then gnome-screensaver to lock it when it blanks.
    I advise you post on the openSUSE forums about that. As I said, I've never had a problem with locking the screen whilst using GNOME in openSUSE 13.1 or SLED 12 Beta.


    Quote Originally Posted by susecmail View Post
    I should NOT have to install a 3rd party addon to get basic security functionality from my desktop. Adding things through shell extensions have proven unreliable as they are not guaranteed to work with the next update: for example, I had a lock extension installed that worked to lock the screen one week then, after an update, it never worked again, no matter how many times I installed it.
    Some GNOME Shell extensions may stop working as a result of changes made between GNOME Shell versions, e.g. 3.8 to 3.10, but I was under the impression they shouldn't stop working in minor version updates. Part of the point of a distro like SLED is that major versions of things generally don't change except in major releases (e.g. SLED 11 to SLED 12).


    Quote Originally Posted by susecmail View Post
    Some people like Gnome 3, I and my family are among those who do not. I have been working with Linux since 1996 and have never hated the desktop experience until Gnome 3. I have written extensively to the developers to address its many shortcomings, much which have been written about by more knowledgeable people than myself and they told me: "We decide what we want and if you want to have input, give us feedback." I thought I was... and none of my "feedback" has ever been answered or addressed.

    This is NOT commercial level support; nor do I have a tablet or touch screen interface; according to the developer with whom I spoke, they will continue to "simplify: the desktop user experience.
    I'm a bit confused by your statement of how it's NOT commercial level support. I'm not sure exactly what you define as 'commercial level support', but I'd have thought that it would involve money. You give someone money, they provide you with support to resolve problems you are encountering with their product/service. As far as I can tell GNOME don't offer paid for support. Also your grievance seems to be that the GNOME developers didn't respond to your feedback and someone providing feedback, maybe I'm splitting hairs here, is not the same as someone requesting support. A support request requires an answer. Feedback doesn't require an answer. I'm sure the GNOME developers get a lot of feedback. It seems unrealistic to expect them to respond to everyone who provides it.


    You don't mention having tried GNOME Classic as I suggested you do. GNOME Classic came to be as a result of people providing feedback.
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface, please show your appreciation and click on the star below... thanks!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •