Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: vmware player 5 kernel module

  1. #1

    vmware player 5 kernel module

    Good afternoon,

    I have a problem with my SLED11SP3 box and VMware player 5.0.4. The installation procedure ended fine with no errors, but when I start the VMware Player software the "Vmware Kernel Module updater" stop with this error:

    "kernel headers for version 3.0.101-0.35-pae was not found"

    Is there anybody who knows where can I find and how to install them?

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2

    Re: vmware player 5 kernel module

    Quote Originally Posted by mauriB View Post
    Good afternoon,

    I have a problem with my SLED11SP3 box and VMware player 5.0.4. The installation procedure ended fine with no errors, but when I start the VMware Player software the "Vmware Kernel Module updater" stop with this error:

    "kernel headers for version 3.0.101-0.35-pae was not found"

    Is there anybody who knows where can I find and how to install them?
    Install the packages linux-kernel-headers and kernel-source. (The description for the linux-kernel-headers package says 'compiling external kernel modules requires kernel-source instead.")
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface, please show your appreciation and click on the star below... thanks!

  3. #3

    Re: vmware player 5 kernel module

    Hi Mikewillis,

    in my SLED11SP3 box already there are installed the linux-kernel-headers (version 2.6.32-1.15.1) and the kernel source (version 3.0.101-0.35.1) but my system run with "3.0.101-0.35-pae" kernel release. Most probably VMwarePlayer want the kernel-headers version 3.0.101-0.35-pae and kernel source 3.0.101-0.35-pae but I don't know where download them...

    Thanks

  4. #4

    Re: vmware player 5 kernel module

    Quote Originally Posted by mauriB View Post
    in my SLED11SP3 box already there are installed the linux-kernel-headers (version 2.6.32-1.15.1) and the kernel source (version 3.0.101-0.35.1) but my system run with "3.0.101-0.35-pae" kernel release. Most probably VMwarePlayer want the kernel-headers version 3.0.101-0.35-pae and kernel source 3.0.101-0.35-pae but I don't know where download them...
    I downloaded the free version of VMware Player 5.0.4 from
    https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/fre...duct_downloads
    installed it, tried to run it and got the error you cited in your first post. I already had linux-kernel-headers so I installed kernel-source and that resolved the problem.

    It's just occurred to me that given your mention of pae suggests you're using 32bit SLED, is that correct? All my SLED 11 SP3 installs are 64bit. There's free and not-free Pro versions of VMware Player and I don't know which you're using. Can you try VMware Player 6?
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface, please show your appreciation and click on the star below... thanks!

  5. #5

    Re: vmware player 5 kernel module

    Hi mike

    You are right, i'm using the 32bit SLDE11SP3,and my VMware Player version is the free version. Is vmware player 6 free too?

  6. #6

    Re: vmware player 5 kernel module

    Quote Originally Posted by mauriB View Post
    Hi mike

    You are right, i'm using the 32bit SLDE11SP3,and my VMware Player version is the free version. Is vmware player 6 free too?
    The free version of VMware Player 6 is free, the Pro version isn't The free version of 6 can be downloaded from the same place as the free version of 5. Just change the 'Major Version' drop down selector.
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface, please show your appreciation and click on the star below... thanks!

  7. #7

    Re: vmware player 5 kernel module

    I have downloaded and installed it but the modules compilation failed. In the vmware-modconfig-23989.log there are these errors:

    2014-10-17T14:07:35.727+01:00| vthread-3| I120: Building module with command "/usr/bin/make -j4 -C /tmp/modconfig-ilN85D/vmmon-only auto-build HEADER_DIR=/lib/modules/3.0.101-0.35-pae/build/include CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.3 IS_GCC_3=no"
    2014-10-17T14:07:36.442+01:00| vthread-3| W110: Failed to build vmmon. Failed to execute the build command.
    2014-10-17T14:07:36.443+01:00| vthread-3| I120: Setting destination path for vmnet to "/lib/modules/3.0.101-0.35-pae/misc/vmnet.ko".
    2014-10-17T14:07:36.443+01:00| vthread-3| I120: Extracting the vmnet source from "/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet.tar".
    2014-10-17T14:07:36.448+01:00| vthread-3| I120: Successfully extracted the vmnet source.
    2014-10-17T14:07:36.448+01:00| vthread-3| I120: Building module with command "/usr/bin/make -j4 -C /tmp/modconfig-ilN85D/vmnet-only auto-build HEADER_DIR=/lib/modules/3.0.101-0.35-pae/build/include CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.3 IS_GCC_3=no"
    2014-10-17T14:07:36.730+01:00| vthread-3| W110: Failed to build vmnet. Failed to execute the build command.
    2014-10-17T14:07:36.731+01:00| vthread-3| I120: Setting destination path for vmci to "/lib/modules/3.0.101-0.35-pae/misc/vmci.ko".
    2014-10-17T14:07:36.731+01:00| vthread-3| I120: Extracting the vmci source from "/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmci.tar".
    2014-10-17T14:07:36.738+01:00| vthread-3| I120: Successfully extracted the vmci source.
    2014-10-17T14:07:36.738+01:00| vthread-3| I120: Building module with command "/usr/bin/make -j4 -C /tmp/modconfig-ilN85D/vmci-only auto-build HEADER_DIR=/lib/modules/3.0.101-0.35-pae/build/include CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.3 IS_GCC_3=no"
    2014-10-17T14:07:37.003+01:00| vthread-3| W110: Failed to build vmci. Failed to execute the build command.
    2014-10-17T14:07:37.004+01:00| vthread-3| I120: Setting destination path for vsock to "/lib/modules/3.0.101-0.35-pae/misc/vsock.ko".
    2014-10-17T14:07:37.004+01:00| vthread-3| I120: Extracting the vsock source from "/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vsock.tar".
    2014-10-17T14:07:37.011+01:00| vthread-3| I120: Successfully extracted the vsock source.
    2014-10-17T14:07:37.011+01:00| vthread-3| I120: Extracting the vmci source from "/usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmci.tar".
    2014-10-17T14:07:37.021+01:00| vthread-3| I120: Successfully extracted the vmci source.
    2014-10-17T14:07:37.021+01:00| vthread-3| I120: Building module with command "/usr/bin/make -j4 -C /tmp/modconfig-ilN85D/vmci-only auto-build HEADER_DIR=/lib/modules/3.0.101-0.35-pae/build/include CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.3 IS_GCC_3=no"
    2014-10-17T14:07:37.297+01:00| vthread-3| W110: Failed to build vmci. Failed to execute the build command.

  8. #8

    Re: vmware player 5 kernel module

    Quote Originally Posted by mauriB View Post
    I have downloaded and installed it but the modules compilation failed. In the vmware-modconfig-23989.log there are these errors:

    2014-10-17T14:07:35.727+01:00| vthread-3| I120: Building module with command "/usr/bin/make -j4 -C /tmp/modconfig-ilN85D/vmmon-only auto-build HEADER_DIR=/lib/modules/3.0.101-0.35-pae/build/include CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.3 IS_GCC_3=no"
    2014-10-17T14:07:36.442+01:00| vthread-3| W110: Failed to build vmmon. Failed to execute the build command.
    2014-10-17T14:07:36.443+01:00| vthread-3| I120: Setting destination path for vmnet to "/lib/modules/3.0.101-0.35-pae/misc/vmnet.ko".
    [etc]
    I just installed the free version of VMware Player 6 (VMware-Player-6.0.3-1895310.x86_64.bundle) and it 'just worked'. I can't locate any vmware-modconfig log files.

    Rather unhelpful that the log doesn't contain anything more informative than 'Failed to execute the build command'. Do you have /usr/bin/make ? I'm guessing you do since it's mentioned in the log and similarly I'm guessing you do have gcc since /usr/bin/gcc-4.3 is mentioned. DO the /tmp/modconfig- files mentioned in the log still exist? If so what happens when you run one of the commands in the log that apparently couldn't be executed manually?


    For future reference, when pasting output of commands or contents of log files it helps with readability to wrap it in CODE tags. Look for the # button on the toolbar when composing.
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface, please show your appreciation and click on the star below... thanks!

  9. #9

    Re: vmware player 5 kernel module

    Hi Mike,

    thanks for your answers, tomorrow or Monday, I will manually try one of the commands in the log and post the output.

    Best Regads

  10. #10

    Re: vmware player 5 kernel module

    Hi Mike,

    I checked again the "vmware-modconfig-23989.log" and before the errors I posted, there are also these errors... Can them be of some help?

    Code:
    2014-10-17T14:07:35.430+01:00| vthread-3| I120: Invoking modinfo on "vmmon".
    2014-10-17T14:07:35.432+01:00| vthread-3| I120: "/sbin/modinfo" exited with status 256.
    2014-10-17T14:07:35.432+01:00| vthread-3| I120: Invoking modinfo on "vmnet".
    2014-10-17T14:07:35.437+01:00| vthread-3| I120: "/sbin/modinfo" exited with status 256.
    2014-10-17T14:07:35.437+01:00| vthread-3| I120: Invoking modinfo on "vmci".
    2014-10-17T14:07:35.439+01:00| vthread-3| I120: "/sbin/modinfo" exited with status 256.
    2014-10-17T14:07:35.439+01:00| vthread-3| I120: Invoking modinfo on "vsock".
    2014-10-17T14:07:35.444+01:00| vthread-3| I120: "/sbin/modinfo" exited with status 256.

    P.S. I can't find the # botton on the toolbar, so i added the code tags manually. I hope i'm not wrong

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •